Dog theft paranoia! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Dog theft paranoia!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm just curious if anybody else is slightly paranoid about their dog getting stolen? I've heard horror stories about it and it's always on my mind.

For example, when I'm out walking Riggs and somebody stops to comment on how handsome he is or how great he looks I'm always polite but in the back of my mind I'm a little paranoid. I don't live in the nicest of neighborhoods but I'm in Utah so it's all relative...the crime is not high by any means.

The other day a guy in a car stopped and said something along the lines of "German Shepherd, huh? Is that a male?" Another day, somebody yelled from across the street, "That's a great looking dog. What did you pay for him?" (We'll save the issue of strangers asking how much you paid for something and how inappropriate that is for another time!) But, these situations immediately make me wonder if they would steal him. Stealing a 4-month old puppy from a woman is certainly a lot easier than stealing an adult GSD from a male (or anybody for that matter).

I think it's all in part to my SO being overprotective of me and passing his paranoia on to me. Lol. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

Nope. They live in the house with me and don't go out unsupervised. Who would/could steal them? If someone tried to take him from me while we were out walking, I'd drop that person like a bad habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Nope. They live in the house with me and don't go out unsupervised. Who would/could steal them? If someone tried to take him from me while we were out walking, I'd drop that person like a bad habit.
Mine lives inside as well. I only think about it when we're out on a walk. If I was able to drop a 6'5" Polynesian guy like a bad habit, maybe the comment wouldn't have given me pause but that's not an option for me!

I am getting my CCW which will give me more confidence under those circumstances.

Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

if my 3 hooligans were taken, i`m sure they would be brought back by the end of the day

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 PM

I can't remember if it was this board or another one, where someone had gotten a puppy (lived with his mom),,he was walking the puppy, some guy stopped got out said what a cute puppy, the owner bent down while the guy approached, the guy WHACKED him on the head, the puppy luckily freaked, slipped it's collar and took off for home..HOW SCAREY would THAT be???

I either get people who compliment me on Masi or people who avoid us like the plague.

My previous gsd's, would most likely reluctantly GO with just about anyone. Masi on the other hand, if I were out in public and someone tried to snatch her, I think they'd have a hard time. She isn't a social butterfly with strangers to begin with, if someone grabbed her, she'd probably nail them. If she were in my vehicle, (which she is always locked in) she's very quiet unless a stranger tries to open the door, then all bets are off.

So I'm not sure she's good "stealing" material. But I am very diligent in being aware of where I am, what's happening around us. So yeah, I can be rather paranoid

I had a rescue that was 12 weeks old, the guy ended up giving me a big bull story and sucker I am, believed him, so i gave him my address and phone, BIG mistake, I found out he lied about alot of things as in his circumstances, and was quite paranoid after that , that he knew where I lived,,so kept the place locked up like fort knox for quite some time as well as alerted the police to keep an eye out..

People are crazy these days, so us being paranoid is probably a good thing

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by &RIGGS View Post
Mine lives inside as well. I only think about it when we're out on a walk. If I was able to drop a 6'5" Polynesian guy like a bad habit, maybe the comment wouldn't have given me pause but that's not an option for me!

I am getting my CCW which will give me more confidence under those circumstances.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I can't remember if it was this board or another one, where someone had gotten a puppy (lived with his mom),,he was walking the puppy, some guy stopped got out said what a cute puppy, the owner bent down while the guy approached, the guy WHACKED him on the head, the puppy luckily freaked, slipped it's collar and took off for home..HOW SCAREY would THAT be???
That kind of situation is exactly what I fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Oh! Duh!

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

Bunchers also go around to neighborhoods with association rules of no fencing. E-fence is common in those hoods, along with dogs out unsupervised contained by their e-fence. Easy way to pick up dogs to sell to research. There was a group a year or two ago in my area that was doing this, scary!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM

When Dex was 10 weeks or so, I had a creepy guy stop us and ask to pet him, wanted to know all about us, etc. I was really vague with him. Then he asked if we wanted to go in his backyard and "play with his dog" there was NO sign of a dog in/around the place. I was like "nothanksneedsmoreshots" and darted out of there. I can't say whether he wanted to kidnap my dog or just me, but either way, eeeek!!

Now at 7 months Dex looks big and scary, people give him space no matter where we go.

Dexter - GSD
Laela - Eskimo Spitz

Bailey... miss you buddy <3
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

That would involve breaking into the house and setting off the security system. Or it would involve someone scaling the fence and somehow lifting Chrono up over the 6" fence and getting him over the other side. And then trying to make him do what they want without a collar on(he's naked a lot). That would be a lot of work for a neutered BYB dog .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page