Jogging Hazard: Cars or Coyotes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Jogging Hazard: Cars or Coyotes

Hey everybody,

So im a city boy gone country..yeehaw! well, not even country country, but sort of. anyway. in my new neighborhood there are no sidewalks. across one semi-busy street from my neighborhood it gets more rural. farms, houses a 1/4mile to 1 mile apart...you get the picture.

I was jogging in my neighborhood. No side walks and at night, so I'm contstantly dodging cars. The dogs have picked up very well on the fact that we avoid cars. I'm always on the side nearest the car and keep them off on the shoulder. I do have a flashlight i shine on the road to help cars see me. with the hills and curves, the is the occasional car that suprises me a bit. I still feel like my game of "frogger" while jogging can be won though! it does get very annoying though switching sides of the road and dodging cars fairly often on our jog.

Then i decided to try out the country roads just outside my neighborhood. I started last Sunday during the day and did a nice 4 miles. Tuesday I went out again (only this time at night) after work for a jog. some where out there are some coyotes. I could hear them howling and making crazy coyote sounds haha. I really don't think they'd try to attack a human and 2 GSD's, but I have heard stories of very aggressive coyotes occasionally. I do carry a 3" knife on the jog for worst case scenario sort of stuff.

sooo....where would you jog at night? coyote country? or dodging cars on streets with no sidewalks?

thanks

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

I'm in a very similar situation to you. No sidewalks, cars, coyotes, can only jog at night. . . . I bought a treadmill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Whats up Emoore! me jogging a treadmill would be a sin, becuase Cody has SO MUCH ENERGY to burn.

i do jog for myself, but exercising the dogs is the other real big reason why i do it. so i just need to choose between the lesser of the two evils

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

That's a hard one. I suppose you hear of more people getting hit by cars rather than attacked by coyotes. I guess it would depend on how much traffic there is.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

Coyote country. Much less likely to kill you than a car. Get some Halt or Muzzle animal repellent instead of a knife.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM

I use a lighted collar from petsmart for visibility it works well and costs $10.

As for coyotes they rarely attack grown men. They will harass loose dogs and try to lure them into an unfair fight, but I think they would avoid you unless you really surprised them. Pepper spray is pretty nasty and easy to carry.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

I think you can handle a couple of coyotes Josh.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

so the vote is coyotes over cars makes sense to me too. Hi Lauren!!!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post

As for coyotes they rarely attack grown men. They will harass loose dogs and try to lure them into an unfair fight, but I think they would avoid you unless you really surprised them. Pepper spray is pretty nasty and easy to carry.
A man in my town was attacked by several coyotes while he was walking his Lab. They're getting bolder and bolder. The pack that lives behind my house isn't afraid of humans at all; they come right up to the fence when we're in the yard. Until we shot one.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Even though I would probably choose Coyote country over being struck by a passing vehicle...
Remember: Running, fuels prey drive......if you hear them close by...perhaps stop running and start walking for a bit....

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page