A Hawk Won't Bother Wolfie, Will It? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

A Hawk Won't Bother Wolfie, Will It?

I just put Wolfie out in the yard a few minutes ago, and there was a huge hawk in one of the trees. As soon as we walked out, it flew off. It's back now, and Wolfie keeps looking up at the tree and staring at it. Hawks only bother with small prey right? There are lots of rabbits in the woods behind my house, so I am assuming he's on the hunt for those.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Master Member

There are a lot of hawks where I live and even the big ones (redtails) have never bothered my dogs.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

Don't laugh...because my family did at me LOL remember that movie The Proposal with Sandra Bullock and the hawk takes off with that little white dog...I was SO afraid of that happening when mine was a puppy!

The hawk is probably seeing something small on the ground...he doesn't want to tangle with Wolfie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

We have a big one out back, it's never bothered the dogs. Although it does sometimes drop it's "leftovers" into the yard, and then I have to run out and get it out of the yard so they don't find it

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Don't laugh...because my family did at me LOL remember that movie The Proposal with Sandra Bullock and the hawk takes off with that little white dog...I was SO afraid of that happening when mine was a puppy!

The hawk is probably seeing something small on the ground...he doesn't want to tangle with Wolfie!
I'm not laughing because I did the same thing! There have actually been a few small dogs on the news here taken by hawks and coyotes.

Mom to
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Wolfie would win if it tried!

~Jennifer~

My Zoo
Jake-(GSD/Chow)born 1997
Zoey-(long haired chihuahua) born 2009
Rocky-( GSD) born 2-2011
Spook- resident cat with an attitude
Speedy-other resident cat clown
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
I'm not laughing because I did the same thing! There have actually been a few small dogs on the news here taken by hawks and coyotes.
Glad I'm not the only one! I live in a heavy wooded area and all kinds of little creatures come out of the woods and are flying over head!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

As has already been said, Wolfie is perfectly safe. He is much to big for a hawk to mess with. Small dogs, cats, and small puppies are another story.

We have several kinds of Hawks, Bald Eagles, and large owls here and none have ever bothered the dogs.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Glad I'm not the only one! I live in a heavy wooded area and all kinds of little creatures come out of the woods and are flying over head!
I actually live in a very heavily populated area. My yard is bordered by conservation land in the front and back. Since the wildlife has very little natural habitat left around here, all kinds of creatures seem to gather in my back yard and in the street out front. Wolfie woke me up at 4 am barking at a fox that was on my front walk. Thanks all for the reassurance!

Mom to
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
I actually live in a very heavily populated area. My yard is bordered by conservation land in the front and back. Since the wildlife has very little natural habitat left around here, all kinds of creatures seem to gather in my back yard and in the street out front. Wolfie woke me up at 4 am barking at a fox that was on my front walk. Thanks all for the reassurance!
My property backs protected wetlands. We are always careful when we go out in the yard at night. He cornered a racoon on our deck one night...I thought for sure we would end up at the ER vet with stitches from a fight...that ER down we worked on so much came in handy, he went down, the racoon took off my husband grabbed him by the collar...close call!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page