My dilemma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

My dilemma

Ok. Last week I asked about your experiences or opinions on flying/travelling with your dogs. I've convinced my wife that it would be better if our dog was to stay. Now, the dilemma is... She can't decide what she wants to do. Here are my ideas:
1. We can enroll her to training camp. She gets socialization with trained dogs under trainer's supervision and gets trained while we're gone.
2. We can have a friend of mine pet sit her. It's a friend of mine that I trust and he's done so before for a full day. However, DW does not trust him because he's a pot head. He's owned many dogs before even large breeds. I've known him for 2 years now and he's a trustworthy guy.
3. DW suggested my aunt. I'm fine with it. However, its not for sure that she can because she might be attending the wedding as well. Also, my aunt does not like dogs. She's starting to but still not so much. She has no experience with dogs.
4. I suggested a pet sitter but DW is having trust issues about a stranger coming to our home with full access to our belongings even if they are accredited with the BBB.

So we've come across this topic so many times and we're just hitting heads. I want to come a resolution but she ends up not wanting to discuss it any longer. I can't stand it!!! We have 5 to 6 months to prepare for this but we're getting no where.

What's your take on this? Any pet sitters you would recommend? Training camp? This will be our first time be apart from our dog so I think DW is having attachment issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 AM
Master Member

FWIW, my dog loves our pothead friend more than any of our other friends...they exude calm energy, which I think is why he likes them. So he would be in my top choices to pet sit. Training camp would be sort of cool, though

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
Oliver (ball python) 10/10 (gotcha day)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 AM
Elite Member

I wouldn't want my dogs around any kind of smoke, that's just me. I would nix the training camp idea right off the bat, unless you're actually there, you have no idea what actually goes on in how your dog is handled and trained. Ever heard of Nitro's Law? The inexperienced aunt could be hit or miss. On one hand it could be a disaster, on the other she might really enjoy your dog and it would open up her mind. If you choose a facility or a pet sitter, make sure you do your homework, you have 6 months so that is plenty of time Maybe contact some local dog rescues and see who they recommend, the rescue communities are usually pretty tight nit.

"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM

If i had to pick from the choices you propose, then I would go with the pot head. Tell the wife that 40% of the population in north america is on dope. The other choices are not really that good in my opinion, especially the aunt because she dosent even like dogs. I like the traing camp idea but wouldnt you want to be there for that ? I would just so I could pick up tips on proper training.
Should you have to go with the strange pet sitter, make sure they are bonded. This in my opinion is more important than any other business qualification.
BBB is stupid, you pay the fee and your in. BBB acreditation has zero value in the real world.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Banned

you seem open about the situation. your wife has to be
comfortable with the situation and i wouldn't do anything
that my wife isn't comfortable with. your pot head friend is out.
because your aunt doen't have an interest in dogs she's out.
i wouldn't do a training camp unless i'm there.
i can understand the concern about a stranger being in your home.
if you go with a sitter check their references. how about a kennel?
if you go with a kennel i suggest taking your dog there
and stay with your dog there for an hour or so. the next visit stay
for 2 hours. the next visit leave your dog there for a hour or 2.
the next visit leave your dog there for the day thne do an
overnight. since you have 6 months on your side i suggest
working your dog slowly into the kennel. work your way up to
having your dog stay at the kennel for 3 or 4 days before
leaving your dog there for a week. it's going to cost you to do
these practice stays but i think it's better for the dog. you have
6 months to decide. you should be able to come up with
something that you, your wife and the dog are comfortable with.

Last edited by doggiedad; 02-08-2012 at 09:37 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Master Member

Ive worked in a lg vet hosp/boarding kennel for many yrs. In my experience, and there were exceptions but german shepherds do no board well as a rule of thumb. Being seperated from their owners usually caused a lot of stress/anxiety, which often resulted in diarrhea and loss of appetite. They were not at all relaxed, a lot of whining and pacing. As i said there were definitely exceptions where dogs thought we were the best thing since beef, but generally not.

I would definitely urge you to keep your dog in familiar surroundings. The shepherds who came in regularly were familiar with me, but i was not their owner. Your dog will miss you.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Knighted Member

Pot heads aren't necessarily bad people.
When we had to get a new pet sitter, I went thru all of my personal info, valuables. It worked out good because it was long over due and it was good to get rid of a lot of old paperwork. She wasn't really a friend more like an acquaintance and it worked out great. She stays on schedule and always followed my instructions. Since I have a lot of animals it's really my only option. If I only had 1 dog I would find the best kennel around, maybe not a training facility more like a doggie hotel.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

What happens if you go with the "pot head" friend and he ends up in JAIL while your gone? What do you think will happen to your dog then?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch
me personally, I would look for a good boarding place. You have to do what you are both comfy with. Is there anyone else in either family that you both trust?

The pot head possibly getting put in jail is a good enough reason not to use him. While plenty of people may be on it, its still illegal unless its medical in some states.

Good luck.

~Johanna~

Baily ~ GSD x ~ (Jan 2001 - Jan 2016)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy ~ Schnauzer X Jack Russell ~ 11yrs
Merlin ~ Solid Black Cat DOB 4/5/2015 <Super Stalker Ninja Kitty>
Carrot ~ Solid Black Cat DOB (est) 7/15/2015
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

I would personally try to convince the wife to go with the pot head friend. Anyone could get arrested for anything while you're away that is watching your dog as far as I'm concerned. Or could die from thousands of unexpected reasons. If you've known the guy for two years and he's still smoking, he is probably good about not getting caught. I would of course ask that he not bring it with him to your home so that your home doesn't smell like it and your dog doesn't breath it, but he sounds like the most trustworthy, reliable person on your list, and your dog can stay in your home with a familiar person.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page