When it hits the fan - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

When it hits the fan

I was hoping this would never happen. Oh life, ******

Basically, I have to move. Just found out today. I have 4-5 months left.

The problem: The only place I have to go, besides being homeless, is a house where I am not sure everyone would be thrilled with me having 2 dogs. Big dogs. I have had both my dogs at their house before, but not at the same time. They already have a dog. My puppy gets along amazing with him, and my older boy got along with him when he was a puppy.

"Getting rid" of them is just not an option. I have had that suggested to me and I just about had a meltdown. I am a very loyal person, but nothing compared to my GSDs, as you are all well aware of how insanely loyal and attached these dogs get. I have enough $$$ to keep them well cared for, just not to get a dog friendly place. Or any place for that matter

I do not have near the money to have my own place. My job stability is junk, my wages are junk if I have them--I am currently in an RVT program and nowhere near complete. I feel like I can't breathe.

How do I keep everyone sane at this place? Should I build a kennel or something? The thing is, it would be OK until something went wrong that was my dogs' fault.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 02-07-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Using symbols to get around censored words against board rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Banned

Can you buy a travel trailer and park it at a dog friendly place??
Also make as many budget cuts *now* that you can.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Is a foster home an option for you til you get settled? I have a FB friend who has to move out of state, and hope she can find someone to foster her dogs for awhile so she doesn't have to give them up totally. Sorry you are going through this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Is a foster home an option for you til you get settled? I have a FB friend who has to move out of state, and hope she can find someone to foster her dogs for awhile so she doesn't have to give them up totally. Sorry you are going through this.
That's a good idea. Or any friend that can take ONE of your dogs for awhile just to make it a bit easier.

I do know whenever I'm visiting someone with my dogs, the way I make my dogs easier to take it I crate them when I am not home. And I give them TONS of exercise outside of the house/yard (drive miles away) to actually remove the dogs from the house entirely, and when I bring them back they are quiet and tired out.

Makes them so much better 'guests' when I am able to be responsible and manage them in the crates when I'm not home. And manage them by removing them from the house as much as I can. With the addition they are well exercised and then tired and quiet when I do get back home.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Can you buy a travel trailer and park it at a dog friendly place??
Also make as many budget cuts *now* that you can.
That's a really good idea.

Could you scrape together a couple grand over the next several months for a FEMA trailer or little camper, then park it in a trailer park for a couple hundred a month? You can usually park a trailer much cheaper than renting an apartment.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
That's a really good idea.

Could you scrape together a couple grand over the next several months for a FEMA trailer or little camper, then park it in a trailer park for a couple hundred a month? You can usually park a trailer much cheaper than renting an apartment.
We have actually had to do this. It was WAY cheaper than an apartment for my husband when we had to keep two households for a year. It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

Search Craigslist for a trailer. We ended up donating ours to a family who really needed it. (You can replace the mattress for cheap...). Your dogs will not care where you live, as long as YOU are with them.

Start your preps now. I totally agree with severe budget cuts to save up the money.

You can make this work.

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

Life sucks. I was once evicted from an illegal basement apartment and had THREE days to move out. (The basement had flooded, ruined most of my belongings, and the homeowners did not have enough money to fix it, and so evicted me)

You can make it work. You have to watch your budget closely. If you smoke cigarettes, cut DOWN. If you drink alcohol, cut DOWN. Whatever you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner, try and buy in bulk. Make sure what you eat one day can be leftovers for the next. Make yourself an excel spreadsheet outlining your budget for every month. Excel is an excellent program for budgeting, you can formulate it to do anything you want/need when it comes to numbers.

It may not seem the best... but you may want to look at how much you spend on dog food. I feed TOTW due to my dogs allergies, but have heard great things about a Costco brand of dog food that is cheaper and good ingredients called Natures Domain. Just putting it out there...

If you need/want to rant and bitch to an uninvolved 3ed party, PM me.

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

First of all, Thank You to the replies and support/help. This sucks a lot. I am very thankful I have time to prepare.

The trailer sounds like a good idea.

My GSDs are both so crazy attached to me I couldn't keep them away. They would rather live in a box with me than be away.

My third GSD is so attached to my dad anyway (and is essentially my dads) that my dad is taking him. This is also hard b/c I will most likely never see him again due to the distance (the dog, not my dad thankfully).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenzisMom View Post
Life sucks. I was once evicted from an illegal basement apartment and had THREE days to move out. (The basement had flooded, ruined most of my belongings, and the homeowners did not have enough money to fix it, and so evicted me)

You can make it work. You have to watch your budget closely. If you smoke cigarettes, cut DOWN. If you drink alcohol, cut DOWN. Whatever you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner, try and buy in bulk. Make sure what you eat one day can be leftovers for the next. Make yourself an excel spreadsheet outlining your budget for every month. Excel is an excellent program for budgeting, you can formulate it to do anything you want/need when it comes to numbers.

It may not seem the best... but you may want to look at how much you spend on dog food. I feed TOTW due to my dogs allergies, but have heard great things about a Costco brand of dog food that is cheaper and good ingredients called Natures Domain. Just putting it out there...

If you need/want to rant and bitch to an uninvolved 3ed party, PM me.
Holy crap that sucks. You have fantastic advice that I will uphold.

I don't even have a budget XD but I understand the logic.

I currently feed Nature's Domain, but will probably switch to Canidae (it is very cheap at my local feed store) or the other Cosco food.

I have been out of work for about 6mos...and after an exhausting search, not even a phone call.No one wants to hear that rant! It almost doesn't matter, bc I am a college student still stuck in the min wage area anyway. Thankfully I may have a job lead @ a local AH to where I would be moving.

UGH I just want to crawl into a hole and think.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
That's a good idea. Or any friend that can take ONE of your dogs for awhile just to make it a bit easier.

I do know whenever I'm visiting someone with my dogs, the way I make my dogs easier to take it I crate them when I am not home. And I give them TONS of exercise outside of the house/yard (drive miles away) to actually remove the dogs from the house entirely, and when I bring them back they are quiet and tired out.

Makes them so much better 'guests' when I am able to be responsible and manage them in the crates when I'm not home. And manage them by removing them from the house as much as I can. With the addition they are well exercised and then tired and quiet when I do get back home.
This is why I was thinking of the kennel idea--if I can crate one in the house, and have the other in a dog run or something while I am at school or work (hopefully will have work!!!!) no one will go crazy.

I will exercise the snot out of them or whatever else I must do. There is only room for one crate in the room, but there is a covered patio. I could leave them out but 1) that would make three dogs. Alone. 2 GSDs and a bully. Not a good combo! 2) My male loves to bark.

My head is spinning, but I am trying so hard to be positive...and it's hard.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

Do you have a car?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page