Actual conversation I had at the neighborhood Super Bowl party today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Actual conversation I had at the neighborhood Super Bowl party today

Me: Hey, I was driving by your house a few days ago and I noticed Bailey couldn't get to her water dish because her chain was wrapped around the tree. I unwrapped the chain so she could reach the water.

****head neighbor: Oh, thanks. I'm sure she appreciated that.

Me: Hey uh. . . have you considered maybe putting up a fence? A wire or chain-link one wouldn't be that expensive.

****head neighbor: Nah. . . wire and chain-link fences look so trashy! I don't want one of those in my yard.

Because, you know, a dog on a chain doesn't look trashy at all. I think I might call A/C on them. Bailey is a "replacement" for a dog that died several months ago because it was chained up with a choke collar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

You can't cure stoopid.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Banned

There's a woman who lives not far from us, who fancies herself some sort of rescuer, who used a slip lead to tie up a dog not too long ago.
But what was kind of interesting was they found this dog as a stray, and tried to sell him on CL! She'd asked me if I could take him and for some reason it took me over a day to get over there so they put him on CL for $75! And they did nothing in the way of vetting him.

I had messaged her back and told her I'd come over and get him, and she told me he had run off. An hour or so later I saw him on CL!

I messaged her and chewed her out good about selling a dog they'd just found, had not given a vaccine or anything, and were asking money for (I've taken other pets in the past from her, even a rabbit she was getting rid of and also helped her w/a litter of abandoned kittens, and have taken a different dog from her as well) and she felt bad then and said to come get him.

Well I got there and his eyes were just blood red, the white parts.
I asked WTF had happened and she had tied him up using a slip lead, he'd almost hung himself to death.

You can't cure stupid is right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Well I got there and his eyes were just blood red, the white parts.
I asked WTF had happened and she had tied him up using a slip lead, he'd almost hung himself to death.
That happened to a dog I know, except they used a prong collar... The woman "rescued" a lot of dogs. She had a 6 foot wooden fence but she put it up without removing the old 4-foot chain link fence. One of the dogs was a Husky mix and she kept jumping the fence(by climbing up the old 4-foot fence) so she tied her out in the yard with a prong collar when she went to work. A friend of mine happened to be walking by and saw the dog hanging outside the fence several feet off the ground, apparently had tried to jump the fence but the tie-out was too short. She started to go over to try to help the dog but before she got there, the dog's struggling got the prong to come apart so the dog came free. My friend called me for help because she didn't know what to do. I went and looked at the fence later, there were claw-marks all around where the prong collar was hanging
The dog had a red eye, and some other marks and swollen areas, which I thought were from the struggle but when we went back to talk to the woman she said those were already there when she rescued the dog so I don't know. Anyway my friend didn't want to give the dog back so she offered to foster her, and ultimate she decided to keep her... She was a real escape artist though, my friend could not let her off leash in the backyard even with supervision or she'd jump the fence and run off.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

OMG! Tell him this story... My father, who grew up as a hillbilly, chained his mountain cur to a tree. He had a dog house next to the tree so he could have shelter during the day. My father lived on a rental property, so he couldn't put up a fence. Around there, if your dog wanders onto a neighboring property, the neighbor is more likely to shoot it than to call and let you know where your dog is. One day, it started to storm, and lightning struck the tree that Bucky was chained to, traveled down the chain and killed Bucky. My father never got another dog and vowed that if he did, he would never chain it again. Hard lesson learned. I think it looks way more trashy than a fence.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
OMG! Tell him this story... My father, who grew up as a hillbilly, chained his mountain cur to a tree. He had a dog house next to the tree so he could have shelter during the day. My father lived on a rental property, so he couldn't put up a fence. Around there, if your dog wanders onto a neighboring property, the neighbor is more likely to shoot it than to call and let you know where your dog is. One day, it started to storm, and lightning struck the tree that Bucky was chained to, traveled down the chain and killed Bucky. My father never got another dog and vowed that if he did, he would never chain it again. Hard lesson learned. I think it looks way more trashy than a fence.
Wofliesmom, they've already had one dog die from being chained. They don't care.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Wofliesmom, they've already had one dog die from being chained. They don't care.
That's horrible. They shouldn't have animals, period.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I think I might call A/C on them. Bailey is a "replacement" for a dog that died several months ago because it was chained up with a choke collar.
Call a/c when you see it w/no access to water.
That's an essential. Maybe they'll get the hint - or get rid of her. It'll be getting warm soon and she should have a better life than tied or chained to a tree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page