Anybody heard of "THE LOOK"? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Brewzer1818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dixon, Ca.
Posts: 27
Anybody heard of "THE LOOK"?

A friend of mine who has raised several GSDs, recently learned of my new pup. She proceded to tell me about "THE LOOK" she says it usually happens at about a year old. Your dog gives you this intense knowing stare. She said the first time it happened she got chills. It felt like her dog just telepathicly told her, "you take care of me, and should the time ever come, I will gladly give my life to protect yours."

First time GSD owner.
Luna WGSD Born 10/24/11


Doug Sutherland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewzer1818 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,021
I got this look already and mine is almost 5 months and I have no doubts that even now she would attempt to do whatever she has to do to protect me. She is so loyal its insane..If anyone walks by, she comes and sits right next to me, gives a low growl/bark and will stare them down until they are out of sight..sometimes she is staring and they are about a 1/2 block down...even writing this gives me goose bumps, because I seen it in her very early on.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,021
Attached is a picture I found that is pretty great


https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	396209_2587076641844_1402389278_32384685_1026308551_n.jpg
Views:	1736
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	14943  

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Elite Member
 
sparra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,306
My hubby would tell you he has heard of "the look" but give you an entirely different explanation of it.......one that involves his wife....
sparra is offline  
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Brewzer1818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dixon, Ca.
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
My hubby would tell you he has heard of "the look" but give you an entirely different explanation of it.......one that involves his wife....
That look I have seen. It just reinforces why dog is mans best friends.

First time GSD owner.
Luna WGSD Born 10/24/11


Doug Sutherland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewzer1818 is offline  
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
My hubby would tell you he has heard of "the look" but give you an entirely different explanation of it.......one that involves his wife....

That was good LOL

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I got this look already and mine is almost 5 months and I have no doubts that even now she would attempt to do whatever she has to do to protect me. She is so loyal its insane..If anyone walks by, she comes and sits right next to me, gives a low growl/bark and will stare them down until they are out of sight..sometimes she is staring and they are about a 1/2 block down...even writing this gives me goose bumps, because I seen it in her very early on.

Why would your 5mo puppy be growling at people who are just walking by? It appears to me that a baby like yours should be trying their best to go over and greet their new friends, at that age anyway!

Have you been able to socialize your puppy very much?

just a thought.
codmaster is offline  
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 AM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Why would your 5mo puppy be growling at people who are just walking by? It appears to me that a baby like yours should be trying their best to go over and greet their new friends, at that age anyway!

Have you been able to socialize your puppy very much?

just a thought.
Really??? Just so you can rest easy.....

My dog has graduated from one puppy class, she is in her second and she is around people and other dogs daily in many different settings...she knows the difference between strangers and people she knows which I think is remarkable. Much more important here is that she reacts to me and senses when I don't feel comfortable or there is a possible danger or threat. If I wanted a puppy that would be friendly to everyone that walked by I would have gotten another golden retriever....not to mention I said a low growl/bark...nothing vicious.

just a response.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Elite Member
 
marshies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Really??? Just so you can rest easy.....

My dog has graduated from one puppy class, she is in her second and she is around people and other dogs daily in many different settings...she knows the difference between strangers and people she knows which I think is remarkable. Much more important here is that she reacts to me and senses when I don't feel comfortable or there is a possible danger or threat. If I wanted a puppy that would be friendly to everyone that walked by I would have gotten another golden retriever....not to mention I said a low growl/bark...nothing vicious.

just a response.
I don't know much and haven't met your dog, so please just casually listen to what I'm saying and take it with 5 grains of salt.

It is fantastic that she's going through so many classes, and gets to be in different environments. That really puts her ahead of SO many other dogs in terms of training and environmental socialization. But, growling/barking at strangers might be an issue you want to put some more thought into. They're at an age where they're just discovering their bark, their limitations, and their fears. This could be just a bark because she CAN bark. OR, this could be the beginning of reactivity to humans, fear-reactivity and a host of other issues.

I know GSDs are supposed to be aloof, independent, and alert. But they BECOME that as adults. Puppies are supposed to LOVE the world and marvel at EVERYTHING wonderful in it.

Please PLEASE tell your trainer about how she behaves with strangers, and see if your trainer has any thoughts on the situation.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
marshies is offline  
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member
 
Emoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzer1818 View Post
Your dog gives you this intense knowing stare. She said the first time it happened she got chills. It felt like her dog just telepathicly told her, "you take care of me, and should the time ever come, I will gladly give my life to protect yours."
Actually that look means, "jerky treats. . . . jerky treats. . . . jerky treats."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Emoore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome