Anybody heard of "THE LOOK"? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Anybody heard of "THE LOOK"?

A friend of mine who has raised several GSDs, recently learned of my new pup. She proceded to tell me about "THE LOOK" she says it usually happens at about a year old. Your dog gives you this intense knowing stare. She said the first time it happened she got chills. It felt like her dog just telepathicly told her, "you take care of me, and should the time ever come, I will gladly give my life to protect yours."

First time GSD owner.
Luna WGSD Born 10/24/11

Doug Sutherland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Crowned Member

I got this look already and mine is almost 5 months and I have no doubts that even now she would attempt to do whatever she has to do to protect me. She is so loyal its insane..If anyone walks by, she comes and sits right next to me, gives a low growl/bark and will stare them down until they are out of sight..sometimes she is staring and they are about a 1/2 block down...even writing this gives me goose bumps, because I seen it in her very early on.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Crowned Member

Attached is a picture I found that is pretty great

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	396209_2587076641844_1402389278_32384685_1026308551_n.jpg
Views:	1736
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	14943  

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Elite Member

My hubby would tell you he has heard of "the look" but give you an entirely different explanation of it.......one that involves his wife....
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
My hubby would tell you he has heard of "the look" but give you an entirely different explanation of it.......one that involves his wife....
That look I have seen. It just reinforces why dog is mans best friends.

First time GSD owner.
Luna WGSD Born 10/24/11

Doug Sutherland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post

That was good LOL

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I got this look already and mine is almost 5 months and I have no doubts that even now she would attempt to do whatever she has to do to protect me. She is so loyal its insane..If anyone walks by, she comes and sits right next to me, gives a low growl/bark and will stare them down until they are out of sight..sometimes she is staring and they are about a 1/2 block down...even writing this gives me goose bumps, because I seen it in her very early on.

Why would your 5mo puppy be growling at people who are just walking by? It appears to me that a baby like yours should be trying their best to go over and greet their new friends, at that age anyway!

Have you been able to socialize your puppy very much?

just a thought.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Why would your 5mo puppy be growling at people who are just walking by? It appears to me that a baby like yours should be trying their best to go over and greet their new friends, at that age anyway!

Have you been able to socialize your puppy very much?

just a thought.
Really??? Just so you can rest easy.....

My dog has graduated from one puppy class, she is in her second and she is around people and other dogs daily in many different settings...she knows the difference between strangers and people she knows which I think is remarkable. Much more important here is that she reacts to me and senses when I don't feel comfortable or there is a possible danger or threat. If I wanted a puppy that would be friendly to everyone that walked by I would have gotten another golden retriever....not to mention I said a low growl/bark...nothing vicious.

just a response.

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Really??? Just so you can rest easy.....

My dog has graduated from one puppy class, she is in her second and she is around people and other dogs daily in many different settings...she knows the difference between strangers and people she knows which I think is remarkable. Much more important here is that she reacts to me and senses when I don't feel comfortable or there is a possible danger or threat. If I wanted a puppy that would be friendly to everyone that walked by I would have gotten another golden retriever....not to mention I said a low growl/bark...nothing vicious.

just a response.
I don't know much and haven't met your dog, so please just casually listen to what I'm saying and take it with 5 grains of salt.

It is fantastic that she's going through so many classes, and gets to be in different environments. That really puts her ahead of SO many other dogs in terms of training and environmental socialization. But, growling/barking at strangers might be an issue you want to put some more thought into. They're at an age where they're just discovering their bark, their limitations, and their fears. This could be just a bark because she CAN bark. OR, this could be the beginning of reactivity to humans, fear-reactivity and a host of other issues.

I know GSDs are supposed to be aloof, independent, and alert. But they BECOME that as adults. Puppies are supposed to LOVE the world and marvel at EVERYTHING wonderful in it.

Please PLEASE tell your trainer about how she behaves with strangers, and see if your trainer has any thoughts on the situation.

-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzer1818 View Post
Your dog gives you this intense knowing stare. She said the first time it happened she got chills. It felt like her dog just telepathicly told her, "you take care of me, and should the time ever come, I will gladly give my life to protect yours."
Actually that look means, "jerky treats. . . . jerky treats. . . . jerky treats."

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page