What would you do? (problem dog at dog park) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What would you do? (problem dog at dog park)

I go to the dog park sometimes. Not lately, as I've been working more on one-on-one things with Bailey, but we still go here and there. Please, this post IS NOT ABOUT THE NEGATIVES OF A DOG PARK. It is about what I should do, or not do! with this situation.

We dropped in last Sunday after playing around at the other park. There is a pitbull that hates Bailey. (At least I am pretty sure it's a pit -- it looks exactly like this, but is male)

The first time we encountered this dog, the owner had it offleash, but leashed it up as he came up to the main area of the park. The dogs came up and sniffed on this dog and it was clearly not happy. Very stiff posture. Got a little growly with some. Bailey tried the sniff and WHAP, dog lunged, growled, was hotfire angry. He didn't like any of the dogs, but he basically hated Bailey on sight. (Wondering if this pit is intact - I didn't pay attention - but Bailey is and maybe that played into it? Most males at the dogpark are neutered.)

I got Bailey away and the owner also made his way out.

I made a mental note, Bailey can't be around that dog.

On another visit, I thought I saw that dog in the park and left. I don't know if it was the same dog, but just didn't want to risk it.

Then Sunday we stopped in. My heart dropped when I saw the same white pit in there, unleashed this time. At the same moment I saw the dog, of course Bails is bounding over to say hi. Bailey is a frikkin social butterfly dog. He came to within two feet of the other dog (I'm very close behind), and the pit instantly chased him down - maybe 8 feet, growling, snarling and Bails instantly submitted. The pit then turned around and went back to his owner. The owner said, "I don't know what it is with these two!" and I shot him daggers with my eyes, turned around and left the dog park.

My dog did absolutely nothing wrong, unless you count normal sniffing as wrong. This owner is breaking the rules allowing a pitbull offleash in the dog park. His dog has now showed aggression towards my dog twice.

At least now I know what the owner drives. (I waited in the lot to see what vehicle he left in so I won't get another surprise like this!)

I called the city and said I was having trouble with an offleash pit at the dog park. (And incidentally, this owner had two dogs in the park. His second was a little itty bitty black curly haired dog, quite friendly, but totally abandoned by the owner -- as in way across the park, totally out of sight of the owner.)

The city official said I should first talk to the dog park volunteer, if one was there. He said if no volunteer was there, I should call the police non-emergency line! I was floored by that suggestion! Call the cops over this? Really? Would you? Or just continue to not go to the park when that dog is there, now that I know what the owner drives? But what if he drives something different some day? What if he comes in *after* me?

What would YOU do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

one of the areas where we go in the woods
there's a dog that doesn't get along with my dog.
the owner of the dog an i got together and exchanged
phone numbers. when we're going to that section of the
woods we call each other so we can avoid each other. calling
each other works out fine. in the dog park that you go to
is it the law that Pits have to be leashed or all dogs have to be
leashed??
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Elite Member

I definitely would not call the cops over it that's just a bit excessive in my opinion. Personally, I'd not not go when I saw his car since you know what he drives.. be on the look out for him when you do show up just in case.. work on your recall (if its not great) and if it is when just call your pup to you and keep him next to you if the pit rushes him then talk to the owner and let him know you have control over your dog he needs to have it over his.. let him know you were advised to call the cops next time he was there but you don't want it to go that far and would like to see what can be done to change the situation.. I would think he is trying to be a decent owner if he is keeping his attention on the pit who seems to have problems over the little dog (I very well may be wrong) but see what can be done. How big is this dog park and why can't pits be off leash? I'm sorry but having a dog on a leash inside an off leash dog park is a HUGE problem waiting to happen.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
one of the areas where we go in the woods
there's a dog that doesn't get along with my dog.
the owner of the dog an i got together and exchanged
phone numbers. when we're going to that section of the
woods we call each other so we can avoid each other. calling
each other works out fine. in the dog park that you go to
is it the law that Pits have to be leashed or all dogs have to be
leashed??
Yes, it is the law pits have to be leashed.

Not a bad idea about the phone call thing. I wonder if the owner would be receptive to that.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Master Member

I would just not go if the dog is there, yes it can be a pain to have to turn around and go all the way home, but those two clearly do not enjoy each others company.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
....How big is this dog park and why can't pits be off leash? I'm sorry but having a dog on a leash inside an off leash dog park is a HUGE problem waiting to happen.
8.5 acres and according to dog park rules, pits can't be offleash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydusk View Post
I would just not go if the dog is there, yes it can be a pain to have to turn around and go all the way home, but those two clearly do not enjoy each others company.
Oh heck Bailey would enjoy any dog's company. It's the pittie that despises *him.* I still wonder if the pit boy is intact and how much that plays into it. The pit doesn't like any dog at the park, just takes a special dislike to Mr Bails.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

As far as I know(in my area anyway) the dog parks are off leash and its up to the owners to display their best judgement about whether their dog is causing danger or at risk. The county does not say that certain breeds have to be on a leash at all. If they did that I would think that pits, rotts, and german shepherds would be on the list of dogs to leash..followed closely by possibly huskies. Sometimes having them on a leash can be more dangerous as they can be more aggressive. Another option is to report them to whoever runs the dog park...in my case its the forest preserve police. Good Luck.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Master Member

The dog in the pic looks like a Dogo Argentino. They are banned in 7 countries. One of my dogs was attacked a few times at a dog park and now she's DA. The attacks were always from a strange dog that I had never seen before rather then the dog park regulars. I would advise you to spend a few minutes outside the park with Bailey just observing the dogs-see who's there and take your time observing dogs you're not familiar with. Once you're inside and a new dog enters the park, call your dog to you and observe how the new dog greets the other dogs. If it seems friendly, then you can give the OK to Bailey to meet it.
I don't know what you can do as far as preventing the white dog from coming to the park. Many dog parks are kind of self policing. I've seen some seriously DA dogs in dog parks so just be careful and observant.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Des Moines’ ordinance defines any Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog, American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog, American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog or any dog that has the appearance and characteristics of being predominately of the breeds of Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, or American Staffordshire Terrier as vicious.

(Taken from city ordinance.. all such dogs must be leashed at the city dog park.)

ETA - I just want to add, Bailey's new bestest friend at the dog park is a brindle Staffordshire girl and she is always offleash and always the biggest sweetheart in the world. I'm happy when I see her at the park. I'm not just being anti-breed... just that this particular dog is a problem.

Last edited by chelle; 02-02-2012 at 09:32 PM.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

Is the dog approaching your dog and then acting aggressively, or does this only happen after your dog has approached this dog? First I would get a solid recall and keep calling my dog away from this dog so they don't come in contact. If that dog came after mine even when my dog was avoiding it, I would tell the guy to leave and explain that his dog isn't dog park material. If he shrugged that off and ignored it then I'd report him for having an aggressive dog in the dog park. There's probably plenty of people who go to that dog park that would back you up and are probably just waiting for the chance to kick this guy out.

Aggression spreads aggression, it's not right for this guy to bring his dog there and have his problem dog give well behaved dogs issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page