How long will you leave your dog home alone to go do something unnecessary? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What is the longest you will leave your dog home alone for something unnecessary?
1 hr 6 8.82%
2 hrs 4 5.88%
3 hrs 7 10.29%
4 hrs 10 14.71%
5 hrs 7 10.29%
6 hrs 7 10.29%
7 hrs 5 7.35%
8 hrs 13 19.12%
9 hrs 1 1.47%
10 hrs 3 4.41%
More than 10 hrs 7 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How long will you leave your dog home alone to go do something unnecessary?

I decided to go see a movie with a friend of mine this weekend, and originally had planned for him to where I live so that Sasha wouldn't be home alone very long. However, he decided he didn't want to do that, so I agreed to meet him in at a theater about 35 min. from me. Originally we were going to go to eat and then see a movie, but I decided since I couldn't get my brother to come watch Sasha that I was only going to do the movie, not the eating. Had I done both she would have been crated for about 6 hours, give or take a half hour or so. I decided that was too much for something that wasn't necessary, especially since I don't do that very often (she's only had to hold it for more than 5 hours twice) when it is necessary. I figure this way she'll only be home alone for about 4 hours, which I feel better about.

So how long is the longest you would leave your dog home alone for something unnecessary?

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

I'll leave mine alone for up to 8 hours every once in a while. I've done this to go to dog events across state for vending, for weddings or family get-togethers, to assist with s/n clinics, etc. Doesn't happen frequently (maybe once every month or two) and they get proper exercise before we leave and kongs to chew on.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Actually, I wouldn't call it unnecessary to go out and watch a movie. Every once in a while you have got to do something for yourself, get out of the house and do something fun. That is not unnecessary. It is NECESSARY to keep your sanity.

If the dog is an adult dog, doesn't have SA and is fully matured. You can leave a dog alone up to 8-10 hours. If I know I'm gone longer than 8 or 9 hours I will ask a friend to take them out for me or dog sit.

It's rare that I do that.

Only one of them is crated when I'm gone and that is one of the females. The others are uncrated.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 01-31-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM
Master Member

oOo! I read the title wrong. I thought you were referring to "outside of the crate". LOL! I was looking for the choice of 15 minutes!

Anyways, For something unnecessary, atmost would be 4 to 5 hours. I wish I could take my girl everywhere with me but my family hates dogs. Even for family gatherings, I have to leave her.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Actually, I wouldn't call it unnecessary to go out and watch a movie. Every once in a while you have got to do something for yourself, get out of the house and do something fun. That is not unnecessary. It is NECESSARY to keep your sanity.

If the dog is an adult dog, doesn't have SA and is fully matured. You can leave a dog alone up to 8-10 hours. If I know I'm gone longer than 8 or 9 hours I will ask a friend to take them out for me or dog sit.

It's rare that I do that.
LOL I pretty much never go out anymore, but then again I didn't go out much before either.

Oh no, I understand I can leave her for 8-10 hours; I just don't like to leave her for more than 4 or 5. I just feel bad leaving her in her crate any longer than that. I did it once when I had to move up to my apartment and my mom decided Sasha would just be in the way, and I didn't want to fight my mom. And once the other day when I managed to lock myself out of my apartment. She did fine; I just felt really terrible.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Crowned Member

Most of the time everyone in the household does not go out at the same time, so usually there is someone home even if I'm not. This means that Bianca rarely gets left alone for more than about an hour at a time. However once in a while everyone goes out to see a movie and dinner together, or we are going to a family party or something. I don't like to leave her alone for more than about 5-6 hours or so even though she doesn't get in trouble if left alone, and she can "hold it" for much longer than that if needed. She normally has the run of the house when we're gone, except lately I've been baby-gating her so she only has access to the back of the house. This is because my senior cat's food is in the living room (the cat can't jump or get upstairs anymore so it has to be on the floor for her) and Bianca will eat it if no one is home.

But yeah usually there is at least one person home, and I only rarely leave the house for even a 6 hour stretch myself and half the time I go out anywhere I bring Bianca along anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDkid View Post
oOo! I read the title wrong. I thought you were referring to "outside of the crate". LOL! I was looking for the choice of 15 minutes!

Anyways, For something unnecessary, atmost would be 4 to 5 hours. I wish I could take my girl everywhere with me but my family hates dogs. Even for family gatherings, I have to leave her.
It may be for the best for you not to take her anyway if your family hates dogs. I don't bring Sasha to family gatherings, even if she's invited, because my family (one side anyway) is out of control and I don't want her in that environment. The only family things she's been to are the ones that my mom has at her house and are with the non-nuts family. My dad's side (the crazy side) just had Christmas in a trailer house. There were around 40 people and 6 dogs all packed in that trailer. Neither Sasha nor I attended, but had we Sasha would have gone nuts wanting to play with the dogs, and I wouldn't have trusted the kids around her. Sometimes it's best if they don't come.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs have never been invited to family gatherings... It's just never come up. I'm thinking about extended family here as in aunts/uncles/cousins. They mostly have dogs of their own and I don't think they have ever thought of inviting anyone to bring their pets.
The only time Bianca is invited is if we're doing something outdoors with immediate family, ie me, my parents, my sister and her husband (I'm not including my brother since he never goes to those things). Such as a picnic or BBQ in the forest preserves. In that case they know I will definitely be bringing my dog. My BIL has a guide dog so the dog is always with him and we know he will be coming along if we invite them to our house or out somewhere. Bianca isn't invited to their house though because their neighborhood has a homeowner's association thing that doesn't allow large dogs or German Shepherds. :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:30 PM

I agree with Mrs. K. Though I don't really consider much of anything I do unnecessary, both of my dogs are adults, very well-mannered and in good health, and so they can be alone at home 8-10 hours, though they rarely are (and when they are, it's usually due to work).

Reba likes to rummage through wastepaper baskets, and so she's safely crated in my room. She likes her crate and will put herself in it when she's ready to rest if I leave the door open. Both dogs have free access to water beforehand and are let outside to stretch their legs, use the bathroom and get some fresh air before I leave. Discoe will usually settle down with her frog toy and wait by the door for someone to come home and has free run of the house, and we've never had any issues with them being home alone for this time.

SG2 CAC Discoe vom haus Huro, BH, AD, CD, TDI, CGC-A, CGC, HOT, OFA-Excellent, CERF

RIP Reba von Treue Freundschaft, CGC, TDI
May 11, 2005 - May 23, 2013
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieShepherdGirl View Post
So how long is the longest you would leave your dog home alone for something unnecessary?
Define "unnecessary".

I rarely leave home for anything unnecessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page