Incorporating GSDs (and other K9 members) into your poersonal life.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Incorporating GSDs (and other K9 members) into your poersonal life..

Not sure where this actually falls under so if it needs to be moved, no worries.

I started thinking about some things since I have gotten my babies and thought it might turn into a pretty interesting thread..

I was thinking about it the other day, my GSD is like my child. And I love him as such. My social life (as far as going out often to pubs, clubs, etc.) has changed dramatically. As well as the type of people I started hanging out with. I got away from the crazy party scene, if you will, and hung out with a lot more grounded people, who also loved their animals. Also, I am single and pretty much have been since I bought my GSD in 2010 when I was stationed in Germany. Of course I have had a few short term things here and there but nothing of importance really.. when I did date.. if they didn't like dogs.. it was a deal breaker. I now have a GSD and a growing Boerboel pup and it's become even more important to me that the friends I have the people I date, have a love, if not at least a like, for dogs, especially because they are a huge part of my life.

Just curious on peoples thought when it comes to your babies and your personal lives.. has it changed much, is it the same, etc... you get the idea.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

I just about have no personal life with 5 GSDs plus the other dogs! A shower for me in a day is an accomplishment. I wouldn't go back to sorority or other activities. If a dog can't go, I probably won't be seen there. It's a weird life, but it's mine. Off to a show-n-go today even. Load up the crates!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's awesome though. I think it takes a certain type of person to not just own a dog but to live for them.. I'm glad to be a part of that community

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

It definitely changes you life just like a human child would. I've never been much of a club/party goer, but I have turned down many trip and weekend get-aways because of the dogs. My family never understood.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It's funny, those that don't have dogs, or even kids, don't understand. I can't tell you how many times after I got Titan my friends, at the time would say, "Just put him in his kennel and leave food and water in there so you can stay at my place after the bar." or "he's just a dog Whit!" Um No thank you! Really?! haha

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

I was never a party person. I dont like big crowds of people and I have always preferred to be around animals.

When I got Sinister I found myself anxious to get home to him, I thought about him all the time at work, I told everyone I ever encountered about him. I brought him everywhere with me. I found myself turning down my friend's requests to hang out, I just wanted to be with him.

Now that I have Malice I make sure I go straight home after work to let her out, if someone wants me to go somewhere with them I make sure to let them know I can only be gone an hour or two and then I have to get back home to let her out. If I am going to be somewhere longer than that I call one of my friends or family members and have them go to my house and let the dogs out.

I talk about them all the time at work, to my friends and my family. When I am out I pick them up goodies whether it's some wet food, treats or toys. I worry about them when I am not home and as much as I want to go on vacation I cant because I am afraid something will happen to them while I am gone.

My next boyfriend has to be an animal lover and has to be ok living with multiple animals otherwise it isn't going to work.They have completely taken over my life and I am perfectly fine with that.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I was never a party person. I dont like big crowds of people and I have always preferred to be around animals.

When I got Sinister I found myself anxious to get home to him, I thought about him all the time at work, I told everyone I ever encountered about him. I brought him everywhere with me. I found myself turning down my friend's requests to hang out, I just wanted to be with him.

Now that I have Malice I make sure I go straight home after work to let her out, if someone wants me to go somewhere with them I make sure to let them know I can only be gone an hour or two and then I have to get back home to let her out. If I am going to be somewhere longer than that I call one of my friends or family members and have them go to my house and let the dogs out.

I talk about them all the time at work, to my friends and my family. When I am out I pick them up goodies whether it's some wet food, treats or toys. I worry about them when I am not home and as much as I want to go on vacation I cant because I am afraid something will happen to them while I am gone.

My next boyfriend has to be an animal lover and has to be ok living with multiple animals otherwise it isn't going to work.They have completely taken over my life and I am perfectly fine with that.
I was never a big partier either.. I am more of the pub type girl. A bar where I can have a few drinks with friend, no loud obnoxious music and I still hear my friend talking to me. lol.

And same with my future BF. LOL I was talking about it with my Roomie the other day, I told her that he's going to have to be ok with staying home and playing with the "kids" Haha. And Unless I can bring them to his place, we will be at my place a lot more.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

When my husband and I started dating I told him flat out that my dogs were my children, that if he had any issues with them being treated as such then he should tell me then. I also explained I would ALWAYS have a german shepherd, they shed, they whine, they are everywhere you are and again if this was a problem then he should tell me. I have always been a package deal, furry, whining, package deal. My dogs go everywhere with me. If he didn't like it then he could keep on moving.

He is learning. He is trying. He doesn't always get it but when he makes comments like "we won't have dogs after these are gone" I just shake my head at him. He knows that he won't win that argument.

Christina

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I love it!! That's how I feel. I will ALWAYS have them in my life. They are my one constant and if you can't get over it.. then get over me

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

I made my dog and training him my new hobby. It took me a while to balance that and golf, but I figured it out. If I find a golf course that will allow me to take him with, I'd be in heaven. I do go out less, but I still go out. The best part is that having a dog at home gives me a great excuse to leave things early and have to go walk him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page