Is my puppy a shepherd mix, and does she have Hip Dysplasia? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Is my puppy a shepherd mix, and does she have Hip Dysplasia?

Hi all, I adopted this puppy a few weeks ago and I wanted to find out what she could be mixed with, some have told me shepherd/catahoula cur, and others have said she might be boxer/lab. Also I was told she was thrown out of a car window by her owner while driving and was about 5 weeks at the time. Can someone tell if she might have Hip Dysplasia in this video? Lori - YouTube or is this how a puppy her age would normally walk. And what size do you think she will be as an adult? Atm she's 10-11 weeks old and weighs 19-20 Lbs her height is about 12-13 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120130_103213.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	14789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120130_105136.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	14790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120130_105148.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	14791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120130_105202.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	14792  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry, but hip dysplasia cannot be diagnosed without x-ray. Might your puppy have had some injury due to being thrown out of a car window? Sure. But it seems like he is moving around ok and playing and jumping and using it.

I would not do forced running or jogging on hard serfaces or force the dog to jump up or jump over things, but let the puppy do what the puppy wants to do. You can have the hips prelims done as early as four months I think, but I would probably wait for 8 or 12 months. If the dog is dysplastic, it is not the end of the world, most dysplastic dogs are not crippled, and many manage it without ever showing any symptoms.

As for whether or not your dog is mixed, and what with, my best guess would be yes, and could be anything. But what is important is that the pup is adorable, has plenty of play drive, and if you start working with and training your puppy now, you can do just about anything with him that you want to do.

Thanks for rescuing this pup and giving him a good home.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Banned

I saw one strange thing at 1:20 but can't make it out.
If she has HD it sure isn't slowing her down.
She looks mastiff-y for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

Sorry, I don't really see GSD in this pup at all.

And if you think your pup could have HD, your best bet is to have the hips xrayed in a couple months.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

I don't see GSD in that pup, either. Looks like a Pit Bull cross of some sort to me, but you never know.

If you are concerned about hip dysplasia, you need to get her x-rayed--that is the only way it can be diagnosed. However, there are clues. When she's lying on her side, slowly and gently lift her back leg up, as far as it will comfortably go, as though you want to look at her belly. Most dogs will not feel any discomfort from this, but a dysplastic dog might whine or yip as the hip joint pivots.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I don't see GSD in that pup, either. Looks like a Pit Bull cross of some sort to me, but you never know.

If you are concerned about hip dysplasia, you need to get her x-rayed--that is the only way it can be diagnosed. However, there are clues. When she's lying on her side, slowly and gently lift her back leg up, as far as it will comfortably go, as though you want to look at her belly. Most dogs will not feel any discomfort from this, but a dysplastic dog might whine or yip as the hip joint pivots.

Yikes, my girl has always done that, but she is a big baby when it comes to me handling her.. hope its not dysplasia.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
This is exactly how we knew something was wrong with Rosa. She would also struggle to get to her feet, especially if she had been laying down after a period of exercise. We did not get a definitive diagnosis of severe HD until after we had her x-rayed when she was about 11 months old.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member

I don't see any shepherd either, I definitely see pit mix.

She should have x-rays taken if you think something's going on. Hope everything turns out ok!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I don't see any shepherd either, I definitely see pit mix.

She should have x-rays taken if you think something's going on. Hope everything turns out ok!
Exactly what I was thinking! Not sure what else but that pup looks very close to some pit mix pups I fostered years ago. I didn't watch the video (sorry) but like everyone else only way to tell HD is through xrays.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM

Yeah- I agree that she looks like a pitty mix (very cute pup) - Good on you for rescuing her

Fenrir 08/08/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page