What Is Your Experience With Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What Is Your Experience With Dogs?

Did you grow up with dogs?

How many different breeds have you owned?

What training (rally, sch, agility, etc) have you done with your past and current dogs?

Do you work with animals, are you a behaviorist, a vet, a vet tech, agility trainer, etc?

Have you dealt with aggression?

This thread will help get to know each other better and we will know who to ask questions about medical problems or behavior problems.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

We always had dogs growing up- mixed breed rescue/strays

I personally have only owned 1 dog- GSD

What training (rally, sch, agility, etc) have you done with your past and current dogs?

Obdeience, agility & rally

Do you work with animals, are you a behaviorist, a vet, a vet tech, agility trainer, etc?

My profession does not involve animals

No
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

-I have grown up with dogs my entire life.

-I currently own a Beagle, a GSD, and a Pit Bull mix. I have owned multiple mixed breed dogs in the past. I have fostered many other mixed breeds, and 4 GSD's in particular.

-I have competed in AKC obedience a in the past, and currently train in Schutzund/IPO. My dog Aiden has a BH and will be trialing for a IPO1 in the spring.

-I am 3/4 of the way through my schooling for vet tech. I plan on graduating by the fall of 2012, and I currently work at a dog boarding/daycare/training facility. I have worked at a veterinary hospital and family owned holistic pet store in the past.

-I have been training my working dog Aiden out of dog aggression, human aggression, and food aggression since I got him at 5 months of age. We train on a daily basis. I have dealt with other aggression problems in my fosters, but nothing as serious as I experienced with Aiden.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

Did you grow up with dogs? Yes

How many different breeds have you owned? Three. Collie's, Boxer's and my first German Shepherd

I train in agility, rally and obedience with Jax

No

Yes. Fear aggression and resource guarding

Jax is the first dog I've trained and competed with. It's been a learning experience at every step. My training knowledge if very basic and mostly I just try to use common sense when working with Jax. Anything tricky, I call my trainer! I"ve trained strictly with compulsion and found the flaws in that and found a different trainer who is fantastic. I think there is a time and a place for a correction but find it unfair to the dog to correct her if she doesn't understand what I want. I think training is always progressing and will vary from dog to dog.

Medically, we have a senior Boxer who has had mast cell cancer and now CRF. Have done quite a bit of research into both. Jax has mild HD so I've researched diets and supplements.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

How many different breeds have you owned? Personally, just GSD for me, but we also had a Black Lab when I was a kid.

What training (rally, sch, agility, etc) have you done with your past and current dogs? Just obedience

Do you work with animals, are you a behaviorist, a vet, a vet tech, agility trainer, etc? no, just an average long time pet GSD owner

Have you dealt with aggression? Not really. One of my GSD's started with food aggression, but we nipped that in the bud.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM

No. My family doesn't really like dogs. We sat for my Aunt once or twice and I took care of the dogs (even at 6) but we didn't have a pet.

My childhood experience is Irish Setters but I didn't own them. Other than that, just German Shepherds. I have my first pitbull foster now.

Kaiser had 1 agility class and both dogs have had a few NoseWork classes. Other than that, obedience.

Yes. Very active in rescue and am in the process of building my career as a dog trainer with plans to be a certified behaviorist by the end of the year.

Yes. I've dealt with dog & human reactivity, dog & human aggression and resource guarding.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Elite Member

How many different breeds have you owned? Dalmatian, Pomeranian, GSD/Golden Retriever mix, Blue Heeler, Rottweilers, Golden Retriever, GSD

What training (rally, sch, agility, etc) have you done with your past and current dogs? No professional training

Do you work with animals, are you a behaviorist, a vet, a vet tech, agility trainer, etc? Not on a professional level. I seem to be the one family & friends come to for advice on health & training, though. Not that that makes me a "work with animals" person.

Have you dealt with aggression? Yes, one of the rottweilers I had had human aggression.

- Berleen -

Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

Yes

Growing up we had Pekes and Collies. I've had a Cocker, Old English Sheepdog, 14 GSDs, and a mutt.

What training (rally, sch, agility, etc) have you done with your past and current dogs?Obedience. Have also given some of them herding lessons but honestly don't know much about it.

Do you work with animals, are you a behaviorist, a vet, a vet tech, agility trainer, etc?No!

Have you dealt with aggression?Yes! Also have experience with hereditary shyness that included fear aggression.

This thread will help get to know each other better and we will know who to ask questions about medical problems or behavior problems.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser

Last edited by arycrest; 01-30-2012 at 03:08 PM.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

No

Just two, a GSD and a GSD border collie mix

Nose work, agility, obedience

No

No but I have dealt with reactivity and fear, which can sometime look and act a lot like aggression.

This makes me seem very unqualified to give advice. Hmmm....

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Did you grow up with dogs? Yes, german shepherds, couple labs and mixes

How many different breeds have you owned? me personally, gsd mix, gsd's, aussies

What training (rally, sch, agility, etc) have you done with your past and current dogs? obed to CD, agility to the Excellent levels in all venues but usdaa/had the #4 ranking gsd in akc rankings back in 99 and 00/herding/tracking

Do you work with animals, are you a behaviorist, a vet, a vet tech, agility trainer, etc? agility trainer/basic obed tho I do neither now

Have you dealt with aggression in my own dogs? had a fear biter, resource guarder & general pain in the butt aussie

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 01-30-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page