Prey drive or playing??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Prey drive or playing???

Our 8 moth old GSD Cooper and the cats are not getting along. When the cats are on the floor walking around the house Cooper will leave them alone and let them walk. When they run he feels the need to chase them. Is that just his prey drive or is he trying to play with them? The cats donít want to play and most of the time stay off the floor and avoid Cooper. I understand Cooper is still a puppy and likes to play but has anyone had any luck getting their cats and GSD to not chase each other and make the cats feel like they donít have to avoid the dog? Were open to any suggestions you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

Keep the puppy leashed and redirect when he chases.
Keep a super cool toy (he doesn't typically get) on hand, like a squeaky to catch his attention and when he starts to chase, using the leash, redirect him and give him the toy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Rua
Master Member

We are still working on this one, so I understand where you're coming from. Our girl Juno absolutely ADORES our cat Ramsey, but like many cats, he only wants attention when he wants to be fed or let out. He tolerates her when they are out in the garden, because there are many places for him to climb and hide from her if she gets too rambunctious. But indoors is another story. It's like a whirlwind in the house when those two are at each other. And it often sounds a lot worse than it actually is.

Sometimes you just gotta let them dole it out. Juno's gotten a couple bats on the nose from the wild outdoor cats, so she knows not to get too near them. But for when things get too hairy scary: Does your dog know the "leave it" command? I use that on Juno when she gets too much in Ramsey's face, and she'll back off for the most part. I think coupling "Leave it" with a redirect is probably your best bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

yes Cooper knows the "leave it" command the probem is sometimes he becomes so fixated on the cat he will completly ignore us. To the extent we have to step in front of him to block his view to get his attention back. Cooper has a big ball drive so I like the idea of redirecting him with a toy. I think a ball would work for him. Does anyone suggest keeping Cooper on a leash with me holding him while my wife gives the cats attention and letting him see that its ok?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Banned

I think that'd just frustrate him.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

The more I think about it your probably right that would frustrate him and maybe make it worse..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page