We are going on a trip to Toronto and thinking of going to a dog park? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

We are going on a trip to Toronto and thinking of going to a dog park?

Good morning everyone!

We are going to Toronto next month and were thinking of going to a dog park. Molly has never been to one and we are not sure if we should or not? She is very friendly with other dogs but she has never been around allot of dogs at once! What do you think should we go or not!

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Personally, I don't like dog parks. It seems many people do though. You may get a mix of opinions. My problem with dog parks is that you have no control over the other dogs/owners. How old is your pup? One bad incident could cause some lasting problems. JMO
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD2 View Post
Personally, I don't like dog parks. It seems many people do though. You may get a mix of opinions. My problem with dog parks is that you have no control over the other dogs/owners. How old is your pup? One bad incident could cause some lasting problems. JMO
Molly is 2!! I never thought of that!! Is it pretty common to see fights at dog parks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't do it. You will obviously be a stranger meaning you won't have any idea of the way the dogs there act. Not will you know if the owners watch their dogs or just let them do whatever they want.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGSD View Post
I wouldn't do it. You will obviously be a stranger meaning you won't have any idea of the way the dogs there act. Not will you know if the owners watch their dogs or just let them do whatever they want.
Your right!!!! With all the activities my wife planed, Molly will have plenty of socializing just walking downtown, subways.... Probably better off keeping her by my side

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Elite Member

If Molly wants to socialize with dogs...SOCIALIZE WITH MINE!! Amaretto is a positive wild child and I would LOVE for her to interact with older GSDs to learn better dog manners. All the dogs in class are teeny

I've been circling a dog park all week with her, just so she can LOOK at other bigger dogs.

-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

I wouldn't go. Strange city, strange dogs. Especially since she's never been. Might be pretty stressful for her, all the travel and then a first dog park experience.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

Well I will be the lone dissenter. Visiting a dog park can be a great experience. Not all dog parks are great but Toronto has some really nice ones. I have visited dog parks, with my dogs, in probably 10 different cities and I've visited a total of probably 25 dog parks. When I lived in Madison, WI I went to a dog park (not the same one) almost every single day for 5 years.

Toronto has some very nice dog parks. I visited one with my two dogs and a former foster (we met him and his new owner and her two kids there) and it was a big place full of nice dogs and responsible people. It was Rafi's first dog park experience but he had had plenty of off-leash socialization with other dogs prior to the visit. Everything went great. There were dogs there that knew one another and dogs that didn't know one another and big dogs and little dogs and purebreds and mixes and everyone did fine together.

In fact, somewhere on this board there is a thread with pictures from that dog park visit.

Here is a website with maps and reviews of Toronto dog parks. It's a Dog's Lifestyle™

Hopefully that will help you find the best park for you and Molly. I personally enjoy the big parks with lots of trails.

Here is a listing of all of the parks: http://www.pets.ca/dogs/dog-parks/ontario/toronto/

I think the one I went to was Kew Gardens.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

Last edited by BowWowMeow; 01-29-2012 at 03:57 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
If Molly wants to socialize with dogs...SOCIALIZE WITH MINE!! Amaretto is a positive wild child and I would LOVE for her to interact with older GSDs to learn better dog manners. All the dogs in class are teeny

I've been circling a dog park all week with her, just so she can LOOK at other bigger dogs.

How old is Ameretto? Marshies that would be fun! Once we pick a definite weekend(either the weekend after March break, or the weekend of or after Easter)my wife can't make up her mind!!! I will let you know and if your not busy that weekend maybe we can meet downtown or something for a afternoon walk

Marc and Angele!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

Amaretto is 5 months old now! Yes, please PM me if you guys set a weekend.

I am SUPER desperate for dog friends. I live in a university town and am a student, so no one in my social circle has a dog for Amaretto to play with. I almost went into the dog park today because it had one really nice St. Bernard and this teeny lab puppy...but I was worried Amaretto would scar the lab puppy with her rough play.

-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page