Questiong on getting another shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Questiong on getting another shepherd

I had to put my beautiful girl to sleep back in June, she was 13 years old. The bond between me and her were beyond words. She was a protector and a best friend to me.

I saw her health was going down hill, first started with her having problems jumping on the bed, then going up the steps. She always slept beside me and when she was having her hip problems, would wait at the bottom of the steps for me to follow her up so she wouldn't fall.

Then one night, she stood at the bottom of the steps but even with my encouragement she tried but couldn't get up the steps. Two days later I found she didn't eat her food, which she would always devour. She was at the vets earlier and the vet said it was a matter of time, her hips were just too bad and surgery wasn't an option at this point.

The vet said months prior I would know, she would give me a look..

Then one day she wouldn't move from her spot, I got her to go outside to goto the bathroom but it took 20 minutes of her struggling to walk. She wanted to go back in right away. I got her back in and let her sleep that night. The next morning I tried to get her to come to me, but she didn't even try. She gave me that look. So with a heavy heart I made the call to the vet. We got to the vet and she was already going into shock. I said my goodbyes and buried her ashes at my grandfather's grave. She was the type of dog to always be by your side, so at least she is with someone who also loved dogs.

This was back in June, I have another shepherd, a 7 year old male. He is lost without her, though he is slowly adjusting. I also think I am ready for another shepherd and have a few questions.

Since I have a male and my wife has a male (japanese-chin) would it be best to get another male? I heard that three dogs make a pack and that the socialization is different than just two dogs.

How soon can I start training him obiendence? What is the best way to get him to be unfearful of other dogs?

My shepherd went through basic and advanced training, with other dogs. However after the training he became dog agressive (my girl was the alpha and became dog agressive after an attack from another shepherd). My male seemed to have picked up on her bad habits. If I bring a dog he knows in the house, he is fine. Its just if I walk him and if he sees another dog he will bark, growl and the hackles go up. I have been working with him on this but its just frustrating.

I dont want this new pup to learn those habits, so whats the best way around it? Picking one from a litter what is the best way to tell if a pup will be a good fit for me, my wife and my four year old daughter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Knighted Member

Sorry you lost your girl, its always so heart breaking.
As far as bad habits, monkey see monkey do.
My 2 yr old girl learned good & bad from my 2 older dogs. At the time I had a male & female, the newest additon is a female. The older dogs were great teachers for bite inhabition, basic obedience and unfortunately resouce guarding. I never realized until then how important one on one time & training is.
If you are getting a pup from a respectable breeder, they pick the right pup for you.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

If you already have two males, the wisest course of action would probably be to get a female.

You can start taking puppy classes as soon as your dog has all his/her shots, and I would highly recommend it. If you stay in classes with your dog, being non-aggressive to other dogs on leash is a HUGE part of what gets trained in those classes. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I wasn't attending some kind of class with my dog once a week. The socialization and manners aspect of it is incredibly valuable, even though I already know how to train "sit," "down," etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My suggestion would be to find a good breeder and work with them to find the right match for your household. Thats what I did with my three.

Yes, you will have a pack then. Socialization is important but just as important will be leadership. If you and your wife are leaders they will follow and all will be well. And as you know, training and exposure is very important. Good luck!

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page