Mad about how things were handle - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Mad about how things were handle

In the club today we had a little problem. A was working on attention and a lady was walking her dog without paying attention to where she was going. I wasn't looking and she ran into my leg, which hurt me a lot. Bridget saw this and took off to run right into her dog who I guess was probably protecting her. Pain was shooting through my leg at the time so I couldn't react as fast as I wanted to. I couldn't even see past the big lady who was now pretty much standing on me and backing up into me.

Here is what I think happened just by what I heard. That dog snapped at Bridget when she ran up so Bridget jumped back. The dog lunged forward so Bridget might have bite it in the mouth after the second attempt. The lady moves off me, finally, then Bridget returns back to me. I missed the whole event. All I could find out was the two dogs got nose to nose when playing. Didn't sound like playing to me. I regretted that Bridget saw me in pain but there isn't anything I could do at the time. This all happened in only a few seconds. To me it was like everything was moving in slow motion. I wish someone would have told me what actually happened. I couldn't apologize or anything because I couldn't even find out what really went down.

Everyone starts checking on her dog. Nobody besides me worries about Bridget. No one knew my leg was already hurt before this so of course they didn't check on me. Everyone kept their distance from us after this event. The lady nearly did it again but this time I noticed and moved. Her dog still ran up to snap at Bridget face(happen 2 mores times after that), and Bridget just moved out of the way without responding each time. Why does my dog come out to be the bad guy in all of this? She didn't do anything else. Her dog kept snapping at Bridget. That was the dog I wouldn't trust.

We played a game of musical chairs with dogs. Very few people wanted to fight Bridget for a spot. They would just quit when she got there at the same time. I was glad a few people didn't move because they at least got to see she was safe. The whole club gasp when I brought her close to some of the other dogs during the games. Of course nothing happened. I was playing a game and Bridget was just happy she was getting directions from me that she could easily follow and please me by doing so.

A few trainers were watching and they both loved how Bridget did with the games. Hello people, my dog can play games with other dogs. I was kind of shocked that she was completely unaffected of everyone nearly running out of fear to get out of the way when we approached while their dogs looked very confused at their upset owners. She is the only GSD in the class. I doubt that has anything at all to do with it. I just can't shake the feeling that it might be because of her breed. Even before this everyone was extremely careful around her. She didn't do or even look like she was going to do anything. Just a 9 month old puppy trying to pay attention while still enjoying the games. In my opinion that is a very important part of training that people usually leave out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 AM
Crowned Member

Not sure what to tell you. It is possible with her being the only GSD in class that this "incident" triggered even more "ignorance" from your fellow classmates. If the other dog was being snappy, I would actually be more concerned with THAT dog over the GSD who is being calm and behaving and just having fun. Sometimes its just tough having the breed we have because people are clueless.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to CelticGlory
I would talk to the trainers and ask to speak to the owner/manager. That's just me though. They can't possibly think its good to have a dog end up aware that people are scared of it, it could just cause the poor dog to react! I would also look into another trainer if the attitude still happens after awhile. It wouldn't be worth it to me. I would also tell them point blank why I was finding another club!

# "Breed not a savage dog, nor permit a loose stairway." - Talmud
# "In my day, we didn't have dogs or cats. All I had was Silver Beauty, my beloved paper clip." - Jennifer Hart, Arlington

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

I think it was very rude for the other woman to run into you and not even apologize. Obviously, if you're on the ground, holding your leg, that probably hurts. It would have been nice for her to at least say, "I'm sorry, I didn't see you. Are you alright?" But I suppose some people just don't have any manners if they'd bump into someone and won't even say "sorry".

I also think that it doesn't sound like your dog is the problem here. Yes, your dog ran over to you after you got knocked over, but it's the other dog who snapped at her. Not just that time, but several times. I'm surprised that the "several trainers" who watched the class (as you said in your post) wouldn't say anything or intervene when you get knocked over and the other dog is snapping at your dog. That's just ridiculous.

I'd definitely speak to the trainers and/or the owner, and if they seem like they just don't care, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyK9 View Post
I think it was very rude for the other woman to run into you and not even apologize. Obviously, if you're on the ground, holding your leg, that probably hurts. It would have been nice for her to at least say, "I'm sorry, I didn't see you. Are you alright?" But I suppose some people just don't have any manners if they'd bump into someone and won't even say "sorry".

I also think that it doesn't sound like your dog is the problem here. Yes, your dog ran over to you after you got knocked over, but it's the other dog who snapped at her. Not just that time, but several times. I'm surprised that the "several trainers" who watched the class (as you said in your post) wouldn't say anything or intervene when you get knocked over and the other dog is snapping at your dog. That's just ridiculous.

I'd definitely speak to the trainers and/or the owner, and if they seem like they just don't care, I'd take my business elsewhere.
I agree & would be mortified if I ran into someone like that...I would certainly make sure they were ok & offer a hand. It appears as if the train wreck happened and the trainer did not intervene, espically if this lady KEPT losing her footing.

Your experince was definitely disappointing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

You should be very proud of your girl and of yourself for what you have trained her to do and act. The other woman sounds ill manered and not aware of her surroundings.Sorry you were hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page