Bad experience from a stranger - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Bad experience from a stranger

i take max to my C-store to socialize with everyone. we play outside store for about an hour or two where max gets an opportunity to see new people, sound, and sometimes new dogs. max will go and play with every person and dogs comes at store and everyone loves him. Today, one guy came to store and start laughing at max BECAUSE max is so friendly. This guy came to me and told me this dog is not going to be a good protective dog for you because he's so friendly with everyone. This made me so mad because first, he didnt anything about GSD, and second he was asking me to make my dog aggressive to everyone. I told that guy rudely that this is GERMAN SHEPHERD, and i dont think i need to train him to be protective he'll know what to do when situation will arise. did anyone have this type of experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Elite Member

I have never had an experience but I know how you must feel. Just because you have a socialized dog does not mean he won't be protective. I actually believe he will be more so than aggressive dogs because he will learn the difference between a good and bad person. Don't let it bother you too much. You are doing right and he does not know what he is talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

No, I have not had this type of experience. However, I have seen way too many poorly bred GSDs that were over friendly and would make the average Golden Retriever look excessively aggressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliejujubean View Post
I have never had an experience but I know how you must feel. Just because you have a socialized dog does not mean he won't be protective. I actually believe he will be more so than aggressive dogs because he will learn the difference between a good and bad person. Don't let it bother you too much. You are doing right and he does not know what he is talking about.

I have seen many times over on this forum where people feel that a dog will either know or can be taught to know the difference between a good and bad person. I really would like for somebody to explain that a little better for me.

I live in an unsavory neighborhood and have had ample opportunity to watch the criminal element. Many of them actually love dogs and treat their own dogs very well. I have watched them befriend many a "guard dog" and I have also seen them know just how far to push a dog and fairly accurately determine what the dog will let them get away with. I have also seen them quickly dominate and dispatch a dog on its own territory and surprise many an owner.

I do not let my dogs determine or second guess me as to who is a threat and who is not. I always make that decision.

But really, I am very interested in learning more about other people's dogs differentiating between the good and the bad, whether learned or natural.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Knighted Member

One day we were walking at a fair, me hubby & Lakota. There was a family walking past us and the man said "Oh I bet that dog will protect you" I turned to him and said "No it's my job to protect her". Everyone's mouth dropped like what huh.
An older gentle man at a crowded fair looked at Lakota and said "I bet she likes to eat children" as a family with little kids surounded us, I almost lost it and wanted to flip out on him. But I held my tounge, I should have said "No she just likes to bite grumpy old men".
You just have to learn how to ignore the idiots or have a really good comeback without sounding nasty, you know something to make them think.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes....our dogs....have better manners...than people

Just repeat that to yourself
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkosmom View Post
No, I have not had this type of experience. However, I have seen way too many poorly bred GSDs that were over friendly and would make the average Golden Retriever look excessively aggressive.
And thats a bad thing?

- Berleen -

Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Knighted Member

My personal theory is that the dog's reaction is based upon YOUR reaction.

My first GSD, my beloved Josey, was a therapy dog and the kind of pooch that little kids could crawl on, ride on, dress up, etc.

But, there were three times that I distinctly remember that she reacted to people - two of those three instances made the hair go up on my arms and as soon as I felt this happen she got in front of me and had her hackles up, ears back and looked truly frightening. The third instance was when a car pulled up behind us at night in a parking lot. She assumed the same rigid stance and no one in their right mind would have gotten close. This really shocked the person in the car because it was a friend and they knew how friendly she is under normal circumstances.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittilicious View Post
And thats a bad thing?
If a person wanted the total GSD package, including temperament, I would thing they would be very disappointed.

If that is the temperament they wanted, then I would think they got very lucky by choosing a GSD and getting that type of temperament.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

That was a very ignorant statement by the stranger. When Chief was alive, there were 3 instances that he went from happy loveable mush to everyone into a snarling beast in seconds. We socialized him, and he was the friendliest guy to all, except if he perceived danger.
The first time, my DH was working the night shift. He and a buddy of his got off work and came to our house. The friend knew our back door lock was broken, so since he got to our house first, he walked in. The kids and I were asleep. I have known this friend since I was 8 years old, so it wasn't odd that he would walk in the house. Chief, on the other hand, didn't take too kindly to it, and bit him in the face. Hubby told our friend he deserved it for just walking in the house in the middle of the night like that.
The second time, a salesman came to the door. I was talking to him from behind a screen door, with Chief sitting calmly beside me. I told the salesman I wasn't interested and to leave, but he persisted. I finally told him to leave or I would call the police. He opened the screen door really fast, and tried to come in. Big mistake on his part. Chief launched himself, growling, and teeth bared at the guy. He slammed the door faster than he opened it, and took off.
The third time, I was walking Chief. A guy came up to me and said how much he loved GSD's and is he friendly. I said he was and he loved people. The guy was loving on Chief, and Chief was loving right back. Then the guy stood up, and took my arm, and Chief turned into the vicious beast again. I thought the guy took my arm to steady himself, but Chief didn't think so. I told the guy that it was ok to pat Chief, but don't ever touch me like that again.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page