Winter vs Summer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Winter vs Summer

...or rather cold vs hot. I was just curious about how many of you guys are still as active with your pups during the winter/daylight savings as you are when it's warmer and lighter out longer?? If you are, what are your reasons; dog is less active so you are, it's dark/dangerous now, it's too cold, etc..

For me I am less active with him in the winter. Due to many reasons, it's darker out in the mornings before work and after I get home. Normally it wouldn't/hasn't phased me but since I moved into a neighborhood with no street lights or sidewalks, it makes it much less safe. I venture out when I can but in the winter I do a lot more yard play and working. Weekends we walk or hike during the day. But mostly he gets less exercise. He also seems less active at this time. He wants to sleep more so when I get him he's being a lazy bum in his crate.

In the summer time we are SO much more active! I'm talking 2 walks a day, yard play, hiking, swimming, beach trips, etc. And it's due to the fact that it doesn't get dark until like 9 here and it's starting to get lighter in the mornings. He also seems more active during the warmer seasons.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not as active in the winter time because I leave the house for work in the dark and return home from work in the dark.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It's the worst! I loved the daylight! LOL there's so much more time to do things.. at least it seems that way! I know your feelings

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

i try to keep up with his exercise
in the winter. we hike, walk the neighborhood,
drive to an area where i throw his ball for
him (winter or summer). he goes with me
to take care of the "honey do" list. my GF
doesn't like me running him in the snow
or on the grass after it rains. she's afraid he
might slip and hurt himself. my GF walks our dog
and plays tug with him in our yard. she aslo throws
his ball for him in our yard.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

We are more active in the winter because Abby can play, run, exercise longer in the cold weather... and so can I. Obviously, the Spring and Fall are the best all around for both of us. But summer can be a bummer.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's awesome. I'm lucky enough to have AMAZING neighbors who are in love with my dog.. even told me once they were plotting to steal him one day but they come over during the day and play with him. Started because I got a new puppy and she needed ot be let out... now it's that and they LOVE playing with Titan while I am at work. I would be so sad with out them to do that for him especially since my work just up'd my hours to 12s for the next month! I would hate my babies being deprived of attention for that long.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
We are more active in the winter because Abby can play, run, exercise longer in the cold weather... and so can I. Obviously, the Spring and Fall are the best all around for both of us. But summer can be a bummer.
Totally agree. I just wish that I could work/play/exercise him during the day. I love working out in the winter time personally for that reason. Just moved to Florida at the tail end of summer so I'm sure it will be blazing hot.. which will be SO knew to Titan havin glived in cold Germany for the last 2 years. Time to start him on wearing a pack so we can take more water with us

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 AM

no we are different! smr we are hardly out! too horrid in smr= 10mnths of the year!. Winter= WE LOVE IT!, nobody out, only me & Mia, and sm other idiots like me, she can run off leash, omg she loves it!. she loves the cold as i do, but we r stuck hre in tx, so gotto deal with it! in our'winter' i have 2 feed her twice a day + treats cause she has so much excercize!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I do like that part of winter.. less idiots out..

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Knighted Member

Here Summer is way too hot and it is also our wet season (training often cancelled due to the rain). So apart from swimming at the beach, we have to limit exercise due to the heat. So winter much more active here.

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page