Harness and shoulder injuries? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Harness and shoulder injuries?

Has anyone using a harness had their dog experienced shoulder injuries?

Yesterday Gracie was limping slightly then today wouldn't put her weight on her leg/foot at all. I took her to the vet and he got a slight reaction by
manipulating the shoulder and a much bigger reaction by pressing on the
large pad of her foot. We are pretty sure it's a brusied pad but when he
examined her shoulder I was wondering if using a harness could cause injury. I am using the Easy Walk harness that has the leash attchment in the front and am wondering if having the type that has the leash attachment on top would be better. She does not pull at all unless she see a person or dog (she thinks the whole world had to play with her). I have tried using a Halti but after almost a year she is still trying to rub it off with each step.......very annoying for both of us.
The reason I use a harness is that I have had back surgery and can't take the chance of reinjury by being jerked.

Now before I get all the training comments let me say that I have owned many dogs in my life all of which I taught to walk very nicely on a leash.
Gracie is my 18 months old and I am still working on her social skills.
We will get to the point of not needing the harness, I don't plan on using it forever.

By the way I did ask the vet and he said he had not seen any injuries caused by using a harness.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Hmmm good question. I haven't seen any injuries from the front attach harness personally, and haven't heard of any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

It looks like that harness compresses the shoulders when there is pressure on the front? That could cause an injury if the dog pulled against it while moving--but I think she'd have to pull pretty continuously.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

That harness has a martingale on the front which pulls to the side. It's supposed to
stop the harness from twisting, although I never saw one that twisted. It's interesting that she is limping on the right which is the side the martingale pulls to.

I think I will try one with the attachment on the top.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Knighted Member

I just switched Lakota from a prong to a harness about 2 weeks ago. It's a cheap one I picked up in walmart with the mesh in front & attachment on top. The only time she pulls is when she sees a deer, then she does accrobatics. For a while we were seeing deer every morning, in the last 2 weeks I only saw them a few mornings, lucky me. The harness deffinately doesn't have the control that the prong has. She did her little dance trying to get the deer and finally settled down. I could see me hurting my shoulder, she seemed unphased. I like that there are fleece covers under her armpits, so rubbing isn't an issue.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
I just switched Lakota from a prong to a harness about 2 weeks ago. It's a cheap one I picked up in walmart with the mesh in front & attachment on top. The only time she pulls is when she sees a deer, then she does accrobatics. For a while we were seeing deer every morning, in the last 2 weeks I only saw them a few mornings, lucky me. The harness deffinately doesn't have the control that the prong has. She did her little dance trying to get the deer and finally settled down. I could see me hurting my shoulder, she seemed unphased. I like that there are fleece covers under her armpits, so rubbing isn't an issue.

Have you tried the type that has the leash attachment in front?
I think you have more control and less chance of getting jerked hard.
As you can see from my post though, I'm concerned that they might cause injury to the dog. I'm still trying to do some research on that. I'll let you know if I find anything definitive on that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Have you tried the type that has the leash attachment in front?
I think you have more control and less chance of getting jerked hard.
As you can see from my post though, I'm concerned that they might cause injury to the dog. I'm still trying to do some research on that. I'll let you know if I find anything definitive on that.
No, this is the first time I have ever used any type harness. Thats why I went for a cheapy in walmart, I would check out the front attachment type I think I really like it. Lakota is such a "dainty" little princess, untill she sees a deer that is!

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page