Neighborhood Nuisance Dog! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Neighborhood Nuisance Dog!

I work from home, and every school day I take my GSD Lena with me, on leash, to meet my kindergartner's bus. It's just a short distance, but of course Lena likes to go with me! and the kids on the bus enjoy looking out the window at her-- some wave, which is cute.

The problem is that someone in the neighborhood has a chihuahua that is allowed to roam free, and is a holy terror. This little creature, on many days, comes and barks its little head off, trying to "chase" Lena down the street. Lena is a good dog, but she's still a dog and after a while she's had enough and tugs hard at the leash in this dog's direction. I'm having to pull hard on her to get her back in a heel while this little yapper follows us down the road.

It just really annoys me that these people are so irresponsible with their dog. I am not 100% sure who the dog belongs to. I have narrowed it down to a couple of houses.

Like most places, my county does have a leash law. Am I being a total bi-otch if I go knocking on doors until I find who owns this animal and inform them that I've had enough? I don't think it's too much to ask that I am able to walk my leashed, trained dog in peace.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Can you catch it? I would go out there without Lena, catch it and take it to the pound. Bet you after all the fees they'll have to pay to get it back, they won't let it roam free no more.

If not, knock on some doors and ask where the dog is from, then call AC on them.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Banned

Just call animal control. That would be kinder than letting him get hit or killed on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama07 View Post

Am I being a total bi-otch if I go knocking on doors until I find who owns this animal and inform them that I've had enough? I don't think it's too much to ask that I am able to walk my leashed, trained dog in peace.

Any advice?
I think you are within your right to at least talk to the owner about it. They may not be aware that their dog is running after yours or that anyone is bothered by it. I would definitely try talking to them in a nice and diplomatic manner because if you go there angry, they will more than likely respond the same way. If they respond with hostility, you always have the option of calling Animal Control, especially since you are in a leash law area.

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM

I would also call AC and let them deal with dog and his owners.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Master Member

That's so annoying. There is a loose doxie in my neighborhood that does the same thing. He comes out barking and lunging when I walk my dogs by his house. To keep him away I have to point at him and shout GO HOME which he does but I pretty much have to deal with him every day. Since you don't know who the dog belongs to, I agree with the others that you should call AC and explain the situation to them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

I'd bet they know quite well their dog is running free. Call AC. Maybe having to pay the fines and the scare of their dog not coming home will change their mind about letting it roam.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned

looks like Lena needs more training
and socializing so she doesn't react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama07 View Post

The problem is that someone in the neighborhood has a chihuahua that is allowed to roam free, and is a holy terror. This little creature, on many days, comes and barks its little head off, trying to "chase" Lena down the street. Lena is a good dog, but she's still a dog and after a while she's had enough and tugs hard at the leash in this dog's direction. I'm having to pull hard on her to get her back in a heel while this little yapper follows us down the road.

Any advice?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDBESTK9 View Post
Can you catch it? I would go out there without Lena, catch it and take it to the pound. Bet you after all the fees they'll have to pay to get it back, they won't let it roam free no more.

If not, knock on some doors and ask where the dog is from, then call AC on them.
I was thinking the same exact thing... or maybe the dog would get lucky and they don't go looking for it and it gets adopted to a better family..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 PM

I agree with others in calling AC. not only is the dog in danger of getting injured or killed but also I would imagine kids too since little yappy dogs are known to have little sharp teeth and kindergarteners always like to try and pet.

Ricco>4mos GSD

"Sometimes a simple tilt of the head says it all"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page