Fence Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Fence Question

Ok folks. I have a fence question for you. I am having a house built and I am choosing between 2 lots. The one lot has rear neighbors, while the other lot backs up to dry retention pond. The lot with rear neighbors I can put up a 6 foot vinyl fence, the lot on the retention pond I can only put up (at the highest) a 5 ft aluminum fence (because of "line of sight" rules. At our old house we had a 4 ft aluminum fence and Dooney never tried to jump over it, though we all know she could if she wanted to.

My question- do you think a 5 ft high aluminum fence is high enough for a GSD? there would be a much better view in the back yard from this lot and no rear neighbors, so I really prefer this lot. I figured if the fence height became an issue I could always run a hot wire?? Its not like I will be leaving her alone outside all day.

Thanks for your input!!

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

I go for the no neighbors behind you lot. The only thing to consider is how often is the storm water runoff pond going to have water in it and will it be a breeding ground for mosquito's and a play yard for gators?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

If you're not leaving her alone outside for long, I'd go with no back neighbors and the shorter fence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGSDs View Post
I go for the no neighbors behind you lot. The only thing to consider is how often is the storm water runoff pond going to have water in it and will it be a breeding ground for mosquito's and a play yard for gators?
mosquitos would also be my concern with living next to a retention pond! I don't know, but a 5' fence should be tall enough to keep gators out wouldn't it? Also would the runoff to the retention pond cause "streams" going thru your yard? What happens during the rare storms when retention ponds overflow?

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks guys- it is what they refer to as a "dry retention" pond. My old house with the ex was also on one- they hardly ever have water in them- they are there just in case water from other places has to be moved there during a massive rainstorm/flood event/hurricanes. the one behind our old house never had more than a foot of water in it and even then it went away within a week or so. Thank you so very much for the input!!

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

You can also supplement your regular fence with a wireless fence. I've done that with my chain linked fence and rather than burying the wire just ran it along the top of the fence. Works like a champ.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Carlotta O'Neill
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girth View Post
you can also supplement your regular fence with a wireless fence. I've done that with my chain linked fence and rather than burying the wire just ran it along the top of the fence. Works like a champ.
great idea!!!! Thanks!

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Elite Member

We ran our invisible fence wire along the top of a low, vinyl picket fence. Worked great...breaks were easy to find (squirrels were the main culprits of breaks!) Scarlett never went within 4 feet of the fence. We had a full on swamp behind us. We had all the fun critters that come with a swamp too...cotton mouth snakes, red earred slider turtles, opposums, raccoons, (OMG, I cannot spell those critter's names for the life of me!)

I would do ANYTHING not to have a water feature behind my house again. The mosquitos and yellow biting flies are bad enough here without giving them some place to breed right behind my house again. :P

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page