The Best Ways to Break up a Dog Fight - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

The Best Ways to Break up a Dog Fight

I challenge anyone and everyone who actually goes outside with their dog to answer this important question. The requirements are simple - no lasting damage to either dog, and it has to be practical enough to implement at the dog park, or another public place, such as when you are on a walk.

So far, there have been very few answers. Here they are to sumarize.

Break stick- Would very likely get the job done but would be difficult to implement and possibly dangerous because you actually have to insert a short lever inbetween the dogs jaws.

Hose- Has potential, but not always avaliable, and you cant bring your own to the dog park.

Pepper Spray- Untested, mail carriers swear it will work. Has potential for real legal entanglements.

Club- Would only work if you wallop them hard enough to do permanant damage. So thats out, unless a person is being attacked.

Lets hear it folks. What would you do if your dog gets into a serious fight ? You will have two choices, do somthing or do nothing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Honestly I can't think of anything I always have a pocket knife on me at all times don't leave home without it, and if brik was attacked by another dog or animal I wouldn't hesitate to use it
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_pwrstroke View Post
Honestly I can't think of anything I always have a pocket knife on me at all times don't leave home without it, and if brik was attacked by another dog or animal I wouldn't hesitate to use it

In principal I am with you. I will defend myself and my property with whatever level of force is required, but your solution really isnt any better than allowing them to fight it out.
Maybe in a day or so somone will post a genuinely good, effective idea that we can both use instead of skipping right to lethal force.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 AM

My baby will do whatever it takes to protect me and ill do the same for her. Im not saying that the knife is the first thing im goin to do/use. My old male gsd was attacked by a stray pit in our yard one time I grabbed the pit by the collar and twisted the collar until it couldn't breath it let go pretty quick.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM

I don't really care what happens to the other dog if its the one doing the attacking, and its not really the same as letting them fight it out because then your goin to have 2 injured or possibly dead dogs.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
I challenge anyone and everyone who actually goes outside with their dog to answer this important question. The requirements are simple - no lasting damage to either dog, and it has to be practical enough to implement at the dog park, or another public place, such as when you are on a walk.
No lasting damage? Prevention is the only sure fire way.

Best way to break up a dog fight without injury to people and further injury to the dogs? Grab them by the back legs and starting pulling them backwards in a circle motion and get a barrier between them ASAP.

If it's a true fight, there's going to be damage.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Knighted Member

I agree with Jamie's method. We call it the wheelbarrow. You grab your dog near the end of his rear legs and pick him up and walk him backwards. Someone else needs to do the same thing with the other dog at the same time.

Do NOT grab them by the collars to try and separate them. Every single time that I have had to go to the hospital to have something sewn up on me it is because I was stupid enough to try and grab a collar when breaking up a fight.

If I am home alone, I grab a wooden TV table and jam it down between the dogs.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 AM

If I am home alone, I grab a wooden TV table and jam it down between the dogs.[/QUOTE]

Why do you have this problem, sounds like it happens alot
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

There is not a doubt in my mind that pulling them apart by the back legs (wheelbarrel) is a very effective way to end a fight. Its only deficiency would be that it requires two people. You may or may not have another person avaliable. Apparently there are alot of owners that believe this could never happen to them, so i question there ability to take action should the need arise.
Im going to think about the tv tray as a division mechanism. This idea may have some merit. There is already a ladder and a floatation device avaliable for use at our local dog park, because there is a pond. They may have a board with some handles or somthing similar after I think this through.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
Its only deficiency would be that it requires two people. You may or may not have another person avaliable.
You don't NEED two people but it would work best with 1 person per dog. The wheel barrel helps keep the dog away from the other one because they'd have to run in circles to keep up with them. The barrier becomes important when you don't have two people so you can stop them from re-attacking. Also important, is to get the aggressor out first so the other dog backs down.

It's just me here and I have 4 dogs. The two youngest females (both fosters) are tough and instigate fights. They aren't allowed together and even though my two oldest dogs are very tolerant, the younger ones have pushed their luck a time or two. The dogs (and I) have made it out with only a scrape or two even when it's two on one. I'm super vigilant about monitoring play so it doesn't escalate.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

Last edited by gsdraven; 01-22-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page