Stupidist thing you've ever seen at the dog park - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Stupidist thing you've ever seen at the dog park

I have a long list but here are some of my favorites ...

Young couple laying out a blanket on the ground and opening up a picnic basket in the middle of the dog park. We just stood there and laughed while our dogs tried to 'join' the picnic. At least the couple had the good sense to laugh at themselves as they were leaving.

An older couple with the young daughter, all dressed like they just came from church (Mom had on WHITE pants), walking into the dog park with their small dog. Mind you - this is a park with a POND! I turned away when a large Lab went running over towards them with his ball (covered in mud and slime from the pond).

Father and his son playing catch with a football INSIDE the dog park. When the kid missed the ball there were about 5 dogs just WAITING to grab it. Father starting yelling at the people in the park to get their dogs away from his football. We politely told him to go suck eggs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
I have a long list but here are some of my favorites ...

Young couple laying out a blanket on the ground and opening up a picnic basket in the middle of the dog park. We just stood there and laughed while our dogs tried to 'join' the picnic. At least the couple had the good sense to laugh at themselves as they were leaving.

An older couple with the young daughter, all dressed like they just came from church (Mom had on WHITE pants), walking into the dog park with their small dog. Mind you - this is a park with a POND! I turned away when a large Lab went running over towards them with his ball (covered in mud and slime from the pond).

Father and his son playing catch with a football INSIDE the dog park. When the kid missed the ball there were about 5 dogs just WAITING to grab it. Father starting yelling at the people in the park to get their dogs away from his football. We politely told him to go suck eggs.
Laughing!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 AM

The number one stupidest thing I have seen at the dog park...... an idiot kid bringing his female pit mix......while she was in heat! Are you kidding me??? She was constantly chased by all of the male dogs, mine included. It was terrible trying to get them away from her. Thank goodness she wasn't aggressive about all the attention cause he just stood there and did nothing. Someone eventually said something to him and he finally left.

Second thing that absolutely ticks me off is when people leave prong collars on their dogs while inside the dog park. I would be livid if Jack ever got his jaw caught in one of those trying to play with someones dog. It is beyond me why someone would decide to leave one on, not only for the other dogs safety but their own as well. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. I have decided that if we are there and see a prong on a dog, they will be asked to take it off.

I too have seen the inappropriately dressed dog parkers. A girl walking in with a full length dress on, women in dress pants, etc. And then they complain that they have gotten dirty from a dog running by or being jumped on. Really?! You're wearing nice clothes to the dog park? I wear the crappiest clothes I can find, and bring towels with me just to be on the safe side.

Amanda

Mom to Jack, 7-14-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Crowned Member

Hmmm actually most of my friends wear a full length dress or skirt when they go with me to the dog park...they are orthodox jewish so that is all they wear.

Well I actually have a photo of one stupid thing I've seen:

A dog wearing a very loose-fitting prong collar. I've also seen a few dogs wearing loose-fitting metal choke collars. I do NOT allow Bianca to play with those dogs.

Also, this is not the dog park, but I never understand the people lying on blankets sunning themselves at the dog beach. They never seem to actually have any dogs with them, but don't they realize they are in danger of being trampled and/or peed on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 01-21-2012 at 12:19 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Elite Member

My friends husky peed on my husband. That made my day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB. View Post
The number one stupidest thing I have seen at the dog park...... an idiot kid bringing his female pit mix......while she was in heat! Are you kidding me??? She was constantly chased by all of the male dogs, mine included. It was terrible trying to get them away from her. Thank goodness she wasn't aggressive about all the attention cause he just stood there and did nothing. Someone eventually said something to him and he finally left.

Second thing that absolutely ticks me off is when people leave prong collars on their dogs while inside the dog park. I would be livid if Jack ever got his jaw caught in one of those trying to play with someones dog. It is beyond me why someone would decide to leave one on, not only for the other dogs safety but their own as well. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. I have decided that if we are there and see a prong on a dog, they will be asked to take it off.

I too have seen the inappropriately dressed dog parkers. A girl walking in with a full length dress on, women in dress pants, etc. And then they complain that they have gotten dirty from a dog running by or being jumped on. Really?! You're wearing nice clothes to the dog park? I wear the crappiest clothes I can find, and bring towels with me just to be on the safe side.

Bitch in heat = "Great Training Opportunity" for all the male intact dog owners,heh?

Prong collars - maybe folks left them on so they could grab something to control their dogs? Would a prong be much worse than a regular slip collar or how about a fursaver collar?

But unless the park rules say so, or it is your own park - I wouldn't think that any park attendee would have the right to tell someone else what their dog should wear??? Maybe better for anyone upset with it to take their dog and go home?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Bitch in heat = "Great Training Opportunity" for all the male intact dog owners,heh?

Prong collars - maybe folks left them on so they could grab something to control their dogs? Would a prong be much worse than a regular slip collar or how about a fursaver collar?

But unless the park rules say so, or it is your own park - I wouldn't think that any park attendee would have the right to tell someone else what their dog should wear??? Maybe better for anyone upset with it to take their dog and go home?
Those are all park rules posted on a huge board outside the gates. Our dog park is small. It's less than an acre in size. No walking trails or any areas like that to train your dog (that would be nice though). People just go to have their dogs play with other dogs, not train. They keep prongs on their dogs like they are regular collars, might as well put tags on them. They hang loosely around the dogs neck like jewelry. I think prongs should be used only for training, and if they aren't training they shouldn't be wearing them. It could end in broken teeth or worse. If they can't follow the park rules, they shouldn't be there.

Amanda

Mom to Jack, 7-14-10
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Crowned Member

Someone brought in their 8 week old toy chihuahua puppy. I thought it was a hamster.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Crowned Member

A saint bernard who was selectively dog aggressive wearing a shock collar with no safety off, prong collar that was way too loose, and an owner who was too small to control a dog of that size.

Females in heat.

Young kids, like toddlers, running around getting in unknown dogs faces and/or pulling tails.

Older kids who should know better doing as the toddlers would do.

People who turn their dog(s) loose and go sit in their car and then come out screaming and yelling about the dog fight their dog just started.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Toddlers on the ground is probably the stupidest thing I've seen, but a close second is a developmentally handicapped teen whose father drops him off at the dog park. He loves dogs, God bless him, but he just runs up to any dog and grabs it around the neck to hug it. It makes me cringe; one of these days he's going to grab the wrong dog and get hurt.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page