How cold is too cold for a GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

How cold is too cold for a GSD?

I don't live in a particularly cold area so I'm wondering how much cold weather Sasha can take. For example, this morning, I was out at 7:00 a.m. throwing the Frisbee for her in 19F degree weather. The wind chill was about 9F. I was sheltered from the North winds by my house. Sasha seemed oblivious while I was bundled up and freezing to death. Doesn't it hurt them? What about her lungs and frost bite? I thought my fingers, even in gloves, were close to frost bite. Can someone from a colder area explain this to me?

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

I sure can't explain it, but it was -3 F this morning and Bailey didn't want to come in. ? ! He wanted to romp around and it was breakfast time.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

They can handle the cold a lot better than we can. Maybe it's the double coat they're sporting 24/7.

As long as they aren't living out there in that temperature, you've got nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

But, if you look at their feet...they are just hairless pads that smell like Fritos. How can they keep from frost burn?

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

Dogs are designed for cold weather. Dogs with double coats in particular are pretty much immune to the effects of cold temps. Their circulatory systems are different and move much more blood around the appendages(paws and the like). Our fingers sacrifice a real cold weather resistance in favor of extreme dexterity. I have also read in places that how dogs feel heat and cold is different than what we humans experience. I dunno if I believe that but it sure would be a good survival trait if cold was more of a state of mind than uncomfortable.

That's not to say that you can toss a GSD out in -30 degree weather with no shelter.

Never cook bacon while naked.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
Dogs are designed for cold weather. Dogs with double coats in particular are pretty much immune to the effects of cold temps. Their circulatory systems are different and move much more blood around the appendages(paws and the like). Our fingers sacrifice a real cold weather resistance in favor of extreme dexterity. I have also read in places that how dogs feel heat and cold is different than what we humans experience. I dunno if I believe that but it sure would be a good survival trait if cold was more of a state of mind than uncomfortable.

That's not to say that you can toss a GSD out in -30 degree weather with no shelter.
Hmm..that seems to make some sense. I just can't believe how much she loves to out in weather that I feel will KILL me.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBays View Post
But, if you look at their feet...they are just hairless pads that smell like Fritos. How can they keep from frost burn?
That frito smell might be a yeast or fungus infection from trapped moisture. I always dry between the toes and under paws with a towel after playing in the snow or rain. Just something to keep in mind.

And they're fine in that cold with their paws. If you're really worried, getting something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FUltra-Paws-TrAction-Dog-Boots%2Fdp%2FB0034K3WJ4&tag=5336432754-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

It was -33C today and Chrono was completely fine.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
That frito smell might be a yeast or fungus infection from trapped moisture. I always dry between the toes and under paws with a towel after playing in the snow or rain. Just something to keep in mind.

And they're fine in that cold with their paws. If you're really worried, getting something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Paws-TrAction-Dog-Boots/dp/B0034K3WJ4
Thanks Paul, this is something to consider. Sasha has been on antibiotics for Staph that has been a problem that I think is finally getting better. It's something that I haven't really talked about. She was a rescue/byb dog. Her ears had a yeast issue that we took care of due to the rounds of antibiotics. We have been so dry in Oklahoma that I never thought about her feet! I'll make sure and keep them dry.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

It is possible they could get frostbite if outside for extended amounts of time... A friend of mine had her Dobermans' ears get frostbitten even though they weren't ever outside for very long in the cold.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page