Playing or something else? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Playing or something else?

I have tried to set up a couple play dates for my baby because she has never been socialized outside of the 3 other GSD's (her family) that tormented her. (Least momma dog did)

The first one was a 7 month old English Mastiff. She is apparently scared of her own shadow. Jada didn't like her in her backyard, so we tried out in the front...much better. She only snapped when Sophie entered my 'bubble' and I wasn't aware of it. Needless to say, since she was scared, she was not likely to try to initiate play.

The second one, a 1.5 year old Rottie, wanted nothing more than to play play play, and even though Jada had her hackles raised (she was muzzled for security) he didn't get it. They first met in the front yard and Jada kept sniffing him (he is not neutered) Jada didn't growl or anything, but she was still nervous.

We took them out back, and Callen was chasing the squeaky Kong tennis ball. Jada was just watching him, not quite understanding what he was doing. I would run, she would chase me, and Callen would chase her. She started chasing him, hackles raised, and nipped his butt. I was unsure if she was being mean, or playing. Lindsey (Callen's momma) said that her GSD plays like that. What do you guys think?

Do you think I will ever get her to understand how to play? It is so upsetting that she doesn't understand chasing a ball or a dog is a way of playing.

Also, I know that this isn't having to do with playing, but she is still extremely nervous about guys. How can I get her to see that people I allow into the house aren't bad. Or will I have to just keep one eye on her at all times for her lifetime?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Banned

How old is she? You said she was "tormented" by the other dogs -- as in, literally? That could surely impress things on her.

Doesn't sound like you've found a right match of a playmate for her, but maybe she just doesn't enjoy the company of other dogs? Not all dogs do. I own two that do not care to play with other dogs and one that does.

I'm wondering about her being muzzled... ? Were you worried she'd attack or ?? Is there a history of anything behind that?

Does she enjoy playing ball or anything with you? I mean, is this a matter of her not playing *anything* or not wanting to play with others? On that note, a toy between two stranger dogs is likely not a good idea, anyway.

GSD's play rough. Mine is not pb, but he plays like he is. But you can tell if you are around it. A nip on the butt from behind doesn't *really* sound like "play."

As far as guys, exposure is key. Without knowing her age/history, I can't say much on how I'd approach that. My youngest was once reactive to people with darker skin, because he hadn't been exposed to it. Over time and socialization to all kinds of people, we've come a long way. It required going all over the place, sitting at the park, going to Petco, going here, going there, the guy at the McDonald's drive thru (I don't even eat fast food!), the girl at the coffee place drive thru (I don't drink coffee!), the convenience store, the checker person at the drive thru car wash... on and on... to let him see every possible type of human being. A guy with a hat. A girl with huge hair. Someone wearing a hoodie over their head. Haha, you get the idea. Exposure is king. But slow. Never more than they can be distracted from. Ie, at one point the car wash drive thru attendant got Bails in a little fit. So I went back and treated him while we were in the line. Treated him as we moved up in line. He saw the guy out there. Treated again. As I talked to the guy, I was treating him. We can now go thru any drive thru without issue. (FWIW, I ate the dang french fries, but poured out the coffee ) But it took some work. May be the same with a male for you. Easy and slow. Treats and distraction.

Sorry to ramble.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM

Go for walks with other dogs.
no interaction at first, gradually let one sniff the rear of the other.
you may have to hold your dog (or the other one) to the side of your leg, and let the other dog sniff. that way, the other dog doesn't have to worry about having the other one turn around and snap in their face.
dogs walk.
get her a walking partner, and eventually that will lead to more confidence with them and eventually play will begin. you have to give them the proper, and slow, introduction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post
How old is she? You said she was "tormented" by the other dogs -- as in, literally? That could surely impress things on her.

Doesn't sound like you've found a right match of a playmate for her, but maybe she just doesn't enjoy the company of other dogs? Not all dogs do. I own two that do not care to play with other dogs and one that does.

I'm wondering about her being muzzled... ? Were you worried she'd attack or ?? Is there a history of anything behind that?

Does she enjoy playing ball or anything with you? I mean, is this a matter of her not playing *anything* or not wanting to play with others? On that note, a toy between two stranger dogs is likely not a good idea, anyway.

GSD's play rough. Mine is not pb, but he plays like he is. But you can tell if you are around it. A nip on the butt from behind doesn't *really* sound like "play."

As far as guys, exposure is key. Without knowing her age/history, I can't say much on how I'd approach that. My youngest was once reactive to people with darker skin, because he hadn't been exposed to it. Over time and socialization to all kinds of people, we've come a long way. It required going all over the place, sitting at the park, going to Petco, going here, going there, the guy at the McDonald's drive thru (I don't even eat fast food!), the girl at the coffee place drive thru (I don't drink coffee!), the convenience store, the checker person at the drive thru car wash... on and on... to let him see every possible type of human being. A guy with a hat. A girl with huge hair. Someone wearing a hoodie over their head. Haha, you get the idea. Exposure is king. But slow. Never more than they can be distracted from. Ie, at one point the car wash drive thru attendant got Bails in a little fit. So I went back and treated him while we were in the line. Treated him as we moved up in line. He saw the guy out there. Treated again. As I talked to the guy, I was treating him. We can now go thru any drive thru without issue. (FWIW, I ate the dang french fries, but poured out the coffee ) But it took some work. May be the same with a male for you. Easy and slow. Treats and distraction.

Sorry to ramble.

She has never bitten but given her nervousness around other dogs and guys, I just would rather not risk it. When she first meets a dog or guy, she is muzzled. If she doesn't have her hackles raised and doesn't growl, the muzzle comes off. She is a year and a half old. Mommy dog would bite her and basically made her life a living ****.

She doesn't play with any toys with me. She'll only chase me. My car is still out of commission from my accident (it's impossible to find parts for an 87 Shadow) but as soon as it is fixed, I will take her to my work, Petsmart and I will get her used to strangers. Thanks for your imput
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmikat6487 View Post
She has never bitten but given her nervousness around other dogs and guys, I just would rather not risk it. When she first meets a dog or guy, she is muzzled. If she doesn't have her hackles raised and doesn't growl, the muzzle comes off. She is a year and a half old. Mommy dog would bite her and basically made her life a living ****.

She doesn't play with any toys with me. She'll only chase me. My car is still out of commission from my accident (it's impossible to find parts for an 87 Shadow) but as soon as it is fixed, I will take her to my work, Petsmart and I will get her used to strangers. Thanks for your imput
Ah, sorry to hear mama dog treated her this way. You're wise not to risk a bad scene. Can you get a trainer/behaviorist to help you?

I have no idea what to do in this case, I don't. But my first instinct would not be to flood her with too much stimuli, as in the Petco visits and such. I think I'd just stay home and work to strengthen your own relationship without too much input from anyone/anything else. Sounds like your girl has had some bad associations and experiences. Socialization is oh so important, but I'm thinking that once you have an established aggression issue, it isn't a matter of only socialization anymore. Time to call in a pro if there's any way you can do that. Even a few sessions could be invaluable in the advice they could give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page