Breeds known for Dog to Dog Aggression - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Breeds known for Dog to Dog Aggression

I know a little bit about different breeds, such as looks and general stuff. If I'm looking into one I research and learn as much as I can and discount the breed on traits that I will not accept.

I must admit I did miss the one about GSD tending towards same sex aggression, but then I was only interested in one dog.

Another thread made comments about Doberman's being known for dog to dog aggression.

What are other breeds with this trait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

pretty much any breed can be dog aggressive.

Depending on which person you ask, the German Shepherd is known for being dog to dog aggressive as well.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

As a "rule", Hounds can live well together as they were bred to hunt in packs (Beagles spring to mind).
My Dachshunds get along with each other, and sometimes other non-dominant Dachshunds, and Bassets, but hate larger dogs.

I have an AKC big book of dog breeds and each has a little "at a glance" description which rates coat care, stranger aggression, other dog aggression, etc. on a scale from, like, 1-5. 1 would be "little coat care", 5 would be "intensive coat care" (think Puli).
Anyway, a 1 on dog aggression would be, "gets along great with other dogs", and a 5 would be "known for other-dog aggression" (think many Terriers, GSDs, etc.)

There's also "stranger dog" aggression (outside dogs), vs. in home aggression, that is, their own pack members.

My dogs tolerate all the members of their pack, but don't like outside dogs coming in. We have to be careful with introducing the foster dogs, for instance.

So it's not real straightforward and it's not really set in stone. There's many facets to "other dog aggression" including individual temperaments and male vs. female, hormones, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Elite Member

Some of the livestock guardian breeds (like Great Pyrenees) were bred to be territorial to protect their flocks... that territory nature can transfer over to other dogs (since they would be considered a threat to the flock).

I own a Rottweiler and they are also prone to same sex aggression... I also own a male GSD and they get along fairly well but have their moments. There are always dogs in every breed, even those more prone to DA or same sex DA, that will break the "rules" and be completely dog friendly. Apollo's mild DA is getting more noticeable as he matures. He's fairly obedient but I have to be on the lookout for other dogs when we're out... he will not back down from a challenge.

Pit bulls are another "breed" known for DA... but again some of them are completely fine. Akita is probably near the top of the list of breeds known for same sex aggression and many breeders will not place males in homes with other male dogs.

I don't think GSDs are on the same scale as being prone to same sex aggression as some of the other breeds (like Dobermans, Rottweilers, Akitas, etc.), at least that hasn't been my experience or the experience of some other owners I know personally.

Luna, GSD (11/22/08)
Nova, GSD (07/01/07)
Apollo, Rottweiler (06/28/08)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Ava

Here's an article based on a study by University of Pennsylvania.

The Most Aggressive Dog Breeds; Dachshund #1?? For the Love of the Dog

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pedigree
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Interesting list and stats.

Great dane, Austrialn Cattle Dog, JRT and Pit Bull all scored very high on dog to dog aggression (greater than 20%), granted the sample size varried a lot.

I have heard that about great danes before, including from my sister who had one.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Pit bulls (and for that matter, most terriers) are notoriously DA.

Dobermans--I have seen a number of male Dobes who have no compunction about fighting with females.

Akitas.

Some of the LGD breeds (Great Pyr, etc) are prone to dog-aggression; as was mentioned above, they view strange dogs as a threat to their flock and will not hesitate to fight, should a stray dog wander onto their property.

Any dog, of course, has the potential to be dog-aggressive. I have a client who does rescue, and her most DA foster is a little female Cocker. GSDs can be dog-aggressive, though thankfully, none of mine have been.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

At one time I had as many as 7 adult Aussies. Never, ever had dog on dog aggression. That included 3 males and 4 females. But..throw in one Golden Retriever, and the entire pack fell apart.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

We rescued an Aussie with intense dog-dog aggression.

Oddly enough, many of the strays in our area don't have a lot of dog aggression, especially if raised outside and lived outside where many of the migrant workers in our area have multiple dogs and they all run as a pack, all neighborhood dogs, so many you cannot tell which dogs belong to which house. Many of those dogs are quite well-rounded in the "getting along with other dogs" category.

Of course much of our (collective) observations are based on artificial pack structures. Temple Grandin's book "Animals in Translation" touches on this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 PM

I had a young Dobe bitch that became aggressive towards my older Dobe bitch. There were some scary fights. The fact that the younger one that started it was always on the losing end didn't stop her from picking the next fight.

Not fun.

I ended up rehoming the little troublemaker to a girl that had no other dogs.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page