German Shepherds Forum banner

What should I do with neighbor's dogs?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  holland 
#1 ·
Calling animal control is NOT an option. I like my neighbors and their dogs.

We live way out. Surrounded by woods. I do have a neighbor but he lives way, way back. He has two adult labs. Takes great care of them.

This morning I let my 3 GSD's out to pee. They started to run back up the deck afterwards....but went into alert mode. They started barking. I ran down the steps b/c I thought it was a possum. It was the two labs. I wasn't sure at first (it's not uncommon to get dropped off dogs sometimes) I called my dogs and made them come in. They instantly did. I was proud of them.

Then I went outside and the labs ran up to me. They are covered in some FOUL stuff. Maybe some sewage and mud. I dunno....it's nasty though. I put them in our small outside kennel pen that we have. Gave them some water .

I went over to neighbor's and he is not home. I have called the two #'s I have for him and no answer. They are not wearing their collars. I know they have family in WV...and sometimes go there to visit....but he usually always tells us....plus he boards his animals

At this point....I'm not sure what to do. I guess for the time being they will just stay in our pen.....but we did plan on traveling too. I don't know what we are going to do if he's not back by this afternoon. I am a little worried.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
If this is unusual behavior for him, I would contact the police and have them check out his house and make sure he is OK. He could be in the house needing help. If all checks out there, you have several option....put a note on his door that his dogs are in your pen, board them and hope he pays you back, or take them to a no kill shelter and explain the situation so they don't put them up for adoption for at least 2 weeks. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks dogluver. His garage is open...but it always stays open. Very unusual behavior.

I can't see his house from mine during the summer (b/c of the leaves and trees) but I can hear his kids outside playing....and I heard them yesterday afternoon playing and yelling.

My hubby is going to try to call a friend of the neighbors. The police option....geez, I hate to even think of that....but we may soon.

#4 ·
If you can't get an answer soon I'd contact the police and ask them to check out his home ... could be he needs help.

#5 ·
Neighbor's brother got ahold of us. Our next door neighbor's wife was in a car accident last night...also had their one year old with her. He rushed out of the house with young son in hand and must have forgot to lock or shut the door all the way. Brother guesses the dogs got into the pond.

The baby is okay...just some scratches. Wife is in stable condition...I think with a broken leg. Brother is going to leave the hospital and come get the dogs in a little while and take them to his house.

For anybody wondering or having problems with your neighbors.....this is a good time to TRY to make everything right with them. You never know the crap life will throw at you. You never know when you might have to help your neighbor.....just like when you might need your neighbor's help.

#6 ·
Good for you for taking the dogs in and trying to figure out what was going on! Good will goes a long way in the world.

My neighbors have come through for me before because they know me and they know my dogs and I have done the same for them.

If you feel really nice you could hose the dogs down before his brother arrives. :)

#8 ·
I've been squirting the dogs down about every hour or so. It's HOT as heck. They don't seem to mind the water. Don't know much about labs but I've always heard they love water.

I should mention....my pen is a pretty decent size but nothing to run around and play in. I bought it for emergencies. My dogs have only been in it a few times...and for very short amounts, like an hour or so (usually when workmen are over at the house). We were actually thinking about selling it at one time b/c we never use it.

Anyway, I put a tarp over the pen and it's already under the trees. Plenty of water.

#10 ·
I'm lucky, I've lived here 16 years and have had the same neighbor's since then ... love both of them ... they've helped me out more than once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.