Best Advice for a new GSD owner? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Best Advice for a new GSD owner?

I recently rescued an 7-8month old GSD, long story short she was roaming around my neighborhood for a few days (I live in a small neighborhood), and chose me out of all my neighbors to be her permanent human. When I took her to the vet to see if she had a microchip, they said with her attitude, she had most likely been abused, however, others told me GSD are like that when their puppies. I also have a seven year old American Pitbull, Freckles, and the GSD, Bella. I noticed in first couple days they are night and day. I really just wanting some advice, helpful tips, trick ideas to teach her (she knows sit, shake, hugs, kisses, lay down, and roll over...also when we play fetch-she drops the ball when I say leave it and I've only had her for 3weeks. Also, I would like a little help on crate training...I'm trying the crate-she goes in it when I say "go to bed" and I can leave the door open, however, when she is left in there longer than a couple hours, she broke the tray and pulled up one of the metal wires... ??? I have no idea how...(my pitbull was not crate trainned, she should have been, but just never thought of it).So, I started using a babygate to keep her in my hallway with her bed, toys, etc. when I'm gone. I would really appreciate anything you think is important in rasing a GSD. Thank you. And sorry for rambling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

Hello and Welcome, and thank you for giving that girl a forever and loving home. The only type of crate I ever used was the kind they use on airplanes to transport animals, and I only had to use it when I was away from home because my boy was not yet trustworthy. I had never used the wire type so I can't offer any kind of help on that, I don't think they could get out of the petporter type.

Good luck with your pup, and I hope that it brings you years of enjoyment.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM

Give her time to adjust and have patience. Make the crate an enjoyable experience by giving her a kong with peanut butter sometimes when you crate her. Or try a tv or radio playing. My GSD learned to open the babygate we have faster than I can open it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Pictures? We love pictures!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Master Member

You sound like you are doing fine with your new gsd. Just keep doing what you are doing and have fun. I have never had the crate issue that you have, but Wolf would chew up beds/rugs that I put in there, so now he sleeps in there with nothing. I put a rug under it for a little cushion.

Melinda

Wolfgang Von Ironwood, GSD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Hi, New to this forum and I am also a newer GSD owner-has since almost 3 months and now he is 8 months old and a handful!! I have been reading some of these threads and it seems like GSD's are more active chewers than other breeds. I have been trying to keep a supply of rawhides, kongs, toys, etc around, but he still sometimes finds my shoes..anyway I need some direction on his over agressiveness toward other dogs when walking-he acts like a mad man. Once he gets around other dogs he is fine, but while walking it is quite challenging. I had to get a choke chain (please don't judge) as I did try everything, and even talked to my vet becuz he was getting so out of control. We also recently lost a companion-an older dog that had to be put down.So any tips on walking. I will post more..like I said new to this site and a little confusing to get around. thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Hey danny'sowner, welcome to the forum. I can't give any advice with your problem, but if you start a new thread here: How do I (teach my dog to)? - German Shepherd Dog Forums, I think you'll get more responses and help.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Master Member

Hi danny'sowner and welcome. One of the best things about this site is the search function. Enter the key words from your questions and you'll pull up lots of good discussions between dog owners with similar questions and a variety of good answers. My 2 cents, in order of your questions: Keep being patient with the chewing, you're almost through with the bulk of it. Continue to use kongs and rawhides, but don't let the dog swallow big pieces of rawhide as they may get stuck. Aggressiveness--probably not at that age, search "reactive" and read the descriptions and solutions. Choke chain--be sure to learn how to use it properly, consider a martingale chain and prong chain as alternatives. Your dog is an individual, and as you see posts by other owners about their dogs you'll recognize the similarities and learn the solutions. Good luck--and post some pics!

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Master Member

And back to the OP.

Melinda

Wolfgang Von Ironwood, GSD
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for commenting! I will post pictures ASAP, all I have are photos from my iphone, which really do not justify the beauty of her. She is my little princess. I will have to check into a plastic crate for her. I leave the TV on Disney and turn it up loud enough so it sounds like people are really in the house. I have shut the door so she doesn't think she's in trouble when she sees my pitbull roaming around the house (still chew the crate), and left it open (my pitbull went in there and slept next to her crate, and she still chewed the crate). I have a kong for her and I put squirt cheese in there (I am allergic to peanut butter) along with some of her puppy food and dog treats, she has so many dog toys, and she even "claimed" my pitbull's dog toys...At first she would chew EVERYTHING, but now she realized that she's suppose to play with them.

Also, can I have y'all opinion on letting her sleep in bed with me??
(I'm a freshman in college, and live with my parents and little brother, her crate is in my room, but her place of preference is right at my feet or cuddled up against me...and I love her sleeping with me, of course!).
Anyways, THANKS!

American Pitbull, Freckles, 7years old

GSD, Bella, 8months old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page