Does your Gsd have the typical temprament of a Gsd..? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Does your Gsd have the typical temprament of a Gsd..?

So I was wondering this question as Nero seems to behave very soft soppy and a right goof when he is around me and the oh. We often call him collie wobbles as he has the temprament of one and acts like a labrador puppy at times.!

But when it comes to people knocking on the door or out on walks, he suddenly goes into typical Gsd mode..! To be honest its the only sort of time I think I have a Gsd is when we are out walking and meeting people in the park as he is cautios of meeting strangers, but after a sniff he is fine and wants to play.! So how are your dogs tempraments inside and outside??

Nero looks at me with eyes of love, he thinks Im far to wonderful to criticise or judge

Lisa-marie

tally-breeze,Sable Gsd, (Nero) D.o.b 13/06/03
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Knighted Member

Bunny is a big suck around people. I wish she were more aloof. With that being said she is an awesome guard dog and protector. She alerts us to any suspicious sounds and I believe her to be a good judge of character. If Bunny shows suspiciousness towards a human then I trust they're bad news because it's so out of character for her. There have been a couple of situations were she has proven her protectiveness when needed and I saw what I consider her true "Shepherdness" come out.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 AM
vat
Knighted Member

Max does what he should and alert when someone is here but then he is all about getting the guest to play with him. When out he shows curiosity towards strangers and if they request to pet him he is happy to let them. I have not seen yet where there has been anyone he was aloof with. It could be he has not meet anyone yet he felt he did not trust, he is also only 17 months old.

I do like that he is friendly, my last one I could not take any where and she had to be put away when company came.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think the desired GSD temperament on a walk is to simply ignore non-threatening strangers. Be neutral, neigther friendly nor agressive.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Crowned Member

Typical temperament is subjective. Something tells me there are more mediocre and bad GSD's out there than good ones. Typical is not the same as correct.

Do ours have the correct temperament for a GSD? I have no idea. They're well trained intelligent dogs that don't make spectacles of themselves in public.They're good guardians,fun to do things with and good companions. That's what we wanted, that's what we got.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Typical temperament is subjective. Something tells me there are more mediocre and bad GSD's out there than good ones. Typical is not the same as correct.

Do ours have the correct temperament for a GSD? I have no idea. They're well trained intelligent dogs that don't make spectacles of themselves in public.They're good guardians,fun to do things with and good companions. That's what we wanted, that's what we got.
Pretty sure the standard states that a GSD should be somewhat aloof and not demonstrative but approachable. Haven't read it for a while.
Abby is pretty much that way until she is familiar with (has met a few times) a person, then she becomes demonstrative and it surprises them when they see the change. Most of the dogs I come in contact with are only one way and don't change/adapt as Abby does.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I think the desired GSD temperament on a walk is to simply ignore non-threatening strangers. Be neutral, neigther friendly nor agressive.
Ditto, Nero pretty much ignores everything and everyone unless they come up close to us then he wants to go check them out and sniff at them. Maybe to see if they are play worthy.!

Nero looks at me with eyes of love, he thinks Im far to wonderful to criticise or judge

Lisa-marie

tally-breeze,Sable Gsd, (Nero) D.o.b 13/06/03
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Pretty sure the standard states that a GSD should be somewhat aloof and not demonstrative but approachable. Haven't read it for a while.
You're right. Here's the AKC standard. (more indepth than the one from the SV and the GSDCA)

Temperament
The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character. Any of the above deficiencies in character which indicate shyness must be penalized as very serious faults and any dog exhibiting pronounced indications of these must be excused from the ring. It must be possible for the judge to observe the teeth and to determine that both testicles are descended. Any dog that attempts to bite the judge must be disqualified. The ideal dog is a working animal with an incorruptible character combined with body and gait suitable for the arduous work that constitutes its primary purpose.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

I forget who posted this article, but I LOVED it and enjoyed reading it.

http://www.vanerp.net/ilse/GSDINFO/E...emperament.pdf
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I forget who posted this article, but I LOVED it and enjoyed reading it.

http://www.vanerp.net/ilse/GSDINFO/E...emperament.pdf

Link didnt work for me.

Belle, "Texas Southern Belle", Fox Red Lab
2/27/2005 - 2/3/2011

Sargent Rio Cass "Sarge"

5/12/2011 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page