Chance back from Vet/Neuter. WTH?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Chance back from Vet/Neuter. WTH?!

Honestly, I am so upset with how Chance is being. He is walking sooooo slowly. Well, basically like someone who just had their testicles removed.

However, I just took this pic of him. After talking to him for 10 minutes so he would get out of the car, it took another 5 just to get him into the house. He literally is 3 steps from the door in this pic. He collapsed right there on the kitchen floor and has not moved since.

PLEASE tell me that I did the right thing here and he will be okay come morning?! I am feeling HORRIBLE right now.
I asked the vet when he had the surgery and she said he was the first one done this morning at 9 am. For crying out loud, it is now almost 6 pm.
This is normal?!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021011951742[00].jpg
Views:	208
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	6111  

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.

Last edited by EMarie59; 02-10-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM

It's not abnormal. Different dogs process anesthesia differently, but when Tara had surgery last year, she was the same way. Came home, passed out and didn't wake up till the next morning.

I would just monitor his gum color (should be light pink) and his temperature this evening.

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Knighted Member

From experience it takes HOURS for the anesthesia to wear off. And if they give pain meds for them too, that will leave them VERY loopy. Jazzi didn't walk for 7 hours post op. Willow my cat, didn't stand UP at all for roughly six either.....

Just make sure that Chance is opening his eyes at least once an hour but he is TIRED he just went through a MAJOR surgery and from what I know, this is VERY COMMON from our experiences!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Master Member

All dogs handle anesthesia different.
He is VERY sore and sleepy.

Tomorrow he is still going to be sore but each day it will get better and better.
It stinks when they don't feel well

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

He's probably just a little "loopy" from the pain meds. I'm sure he'll be fine soon enough and when he's driving you nuts wanting to run around, you'll look back and wish he was still sleepy.

He'll forgive you. (I would never forgive the VET, if it was me..........lol)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Knighted Member

BTW, you can carry him to a softer surface so he can sleep more comfortably and in a location where you spend a lot of your time, so when he does open his eyes and he doesn't have the ability to walk around just yet, he can still see you and feel secure. I'm sure he isn't aware of what happened quite yet. So I spoiled my babies and made them EXTRA comfortable... <3

We carried Jazzi and Killian after they were sedated because of how wobbly and tired they are...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Whew..okay. Thanks all.
I was thinking that maybe he should be a little bit more aware than he is. It is like he is looking through me when I talk to him.

I keep repeating, I did the right thing...I did the right thing...he will be alright..he will be alright...

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM

all of the above^^^ He'll be fine, he just needs some rest and quiet..He probably didn't get much of either at the vets office..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

He's been through a lot the past few weeks and now this--don't worry he'll be ok. When our female was spayed she came home, curled up under my husband's desk and didn't move until the next morning, then she was back to her old self.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMarie59 View Post

I keep repeating, I did the right thing...I did the right thing...he will be alright..he will be alright...
You did; anyway your sig says hes from a shelter so dont they require neutering anyway?

When I picked my 5 year old terrier up from neutering they told me he'd been playing with his toy in the recovery cage...he fell over/asleep for a second when I was paying the bill but after that he acted his usual hyper self!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page