After neutering..questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

After neutering..questions

Chance is getting neutered today. I am supposed to pick him up at 4:30 EST.
I have a huge F-250 truck. Is this going to be a problem with him jumping up into it? Should I be carrying him?
How much pain does a male dog experience after surgery? The vet was saying that I was going to need to buy their pain meds for him, etc.

When will he feel better, etc?

My poor guy..he is already underweight and is about to lose 2 more pounds.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM

It would be better if he didn't have to jump into the truck. If you can get him to put his front feet up and help him left the back end that would be a little easier on him since he'll be tender down there.

The foster dogs that I've had neutered (including 1 cryptorchid) never really seemed to be in pain after and I never administered meds after leaving the vet. Most have their energy back the next day which makes keeping them calm for the next 5-7 days challenging (even more for me because they want to play with Raven). I usually use the crate a lot and have some good chew toys to keep them occupied.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

Because he is an adult, try to keep him quiet. Their scrotum can swell. sometimes there is an infection, sometimes it's just pooled blood the body needs to reabsorb. But keeping them quiet can help that NOT to happen.

You might need to help him up. That is quiet a jump for him. Just as a precaution, maybe ask someone there to help you lift him in so he doesn't have to jump.

The foster I took for a neuter didn't seem to phase him a bit other than he did get an infection. I would buy the pain meds, they aren't expensive and it's better to have them now than need them at midnight on Friday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

I hope your boy Chance has a carefree recovery.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

I always give pain meds after surgery. They may not show it but they do experience pain. I don't advocate using their pain to keep them quiet. Very sad.

Our vet only charges around $25 for pain meds...it's not an excessive amount. It's worth it IMHO. Even if only for a few days.

I would recommend lifting him into the truck. The vet will likely help you if you can't lift him.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think Chance will have the ability to safely jump into your truck. I suspect he'll still be a little woozy from the surgery. You might have to get some help to lift him, or as stated earlier place his front paws in the truck and lift his hind end up into the truck.

Hope all goes well!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

My two males I had neutered as pups acted like nothing had happened almost immediately. My male that I neutered at 3 years acted like he was DYING 2 days and was REALLY mopey for a whole week. But, he has a horrible reaction to being anesthetized so that probably had a lot to do with it too....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I am definitely getting the pain meds. Dogs can be pretty stoic and not really show they are in pain when they truly are.
I am calling my son now and instead of the truck, I am going to use his car. The more I am thinking about it, the more I do not want Chance jumping up or down, since he will have to do that to get out of the truck.
I appreciate everyone's experiences here.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

Ask your vets to give him some pain meds just before you leave the office, if possible. IMO, I would have them help you lift him into the truck. Helping by lifting on his rear legs could even be risky, just from the standpoint that any "messing about" near his rear end/incision could cause pain and nip/bite situation if you slip or he's really sore back there.
I would also get a supply of pain meds. GSD's tend to be really stoic and you might not see him exhibit a lot of pain signs, even if he's in tough shape.
If he's like most dogs, you'll have a tough time keeping him quiet after a day or two, so the chew toys and pb filled Kongs might come in handy.

Good luck
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
Ask your vets to give him some pain meds just before you leave the office, if possible. IMO, I would have them help you lift him into the truck. Helping by lifting on his rear legs could even be risky, just from the standpoint that any "messing about" near his rear end/incision could cause pain and nip/bite situation if you slip or he's really sore back there.
I would also get a supply of pain meds. GSD's tend to be really stoic and you might not see him exhibit a lot of pain signs, even if he's in tough shape.
If he's like most dogs, you'll have a tough time keeping him quiet after a day or two, so the chew toys and pb filled Kongs might come in handy.

Good luck
You must have been typing when I was
I just got off the phone with my son. He is going to go with me to pick Chance up from the vet. Easy in and out of his medium sized car. Chance will be much more comfy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page