Ugh!! I need to rant!! (long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Ugh!! I need to rant!! (long)

First let me say I love my uncle. He is my mother's brother and he moved in with my parents a year ago. He moved to VA when he retired and wanted to leave FL. He is a great guy. He is a little bit slow. I think he probably has Asperger's although he has never been diagnosed, he also has a terrible speech impediment that has always made him very introverted so he has never had any real friends. He spent his entire life living with his mother. After she died and he retired he wanted to move to VA. He relies completely on SS so he couldn't afford his own apartment so my parents let him move in with them.

It turned out he has been a god send for me. My job requires me to commute an hour and 20 minutes each way so my days are really long. An 8 hour day is actually almost 12 hours and a 12 hours shift is almost 16 with travel time. That is a LONG time to be gone. He helps with the dogs when I am working. He comes over twice a day. He will take Dharma for a long walk around the neighborhood (well over a mile) both times he comes, lets Tessa out, and them plays with both dogs in the back yard. He has cleaned up messes if they make any in the house and on more than one occasion scooped up the poop out of my backyard when I have been working too much to get to it. He will even take Dharma to daycare and pick her up for me. Please don't think I don't appreciate what he does for me, because I do. All of it.

Now here is the problem. He gives them way, and I mean WAY to many treats. I just noticed my treat containers ( I have three of the large ones from Petsmart) and they are almost empty. They were 3/4 full at the beginning of the week. I have talked to him about giving to many treats multiple times and so has my mom. He does the same thing with her dogs. She has a greyhound, pom, and a min-pin. The pom and min are so overweight it isn't funny. Esp the pom. My mom eve quit buying treats for awhile. He either really doesn't understand the ramifications or at the time he forgets how many treats he has already given. I even sat down with him the last time he emptied the jar and explained to him that because Tessa's hips and spine are so bad if she becomes overweight, it is basically a death sentence. He nodded, agreed, seemed to understand then he backed off the treats for about 3 weeks until this week. My mom just gets frustrated and angry and yells at him but like I said, I don't think he does it deliberately, he is truly slow.

He really does love the dogs and I think he is just trying to make them happy. I need to figure out a better system. I don't want to stop buying treats. But I do need to find a way to keep my uncle from handing them out willy nilly. For Dharma it doesn't bother me quite as much. She is skinny as a rail and is a looong way form being overweight but Tessa otoh, well that worries me. If anybody has any ideas, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You really can manage this. It's so wonderful you have your uncle there to walk and help with the pets, so I think there's some easy fixes.

First, I'd not leave out a big filled treat container. Ever. Just go to Walmart and find some small container that can have a days worth of treats put in it, and purchase that. I'd then fill that treat container for the day at the same time as I give my dogs their breakfast in the morning. That way you know EXACTLY how many treats you are alloting for the day.

Also, make sure you purchase tiny treats. I only even buy the smallest milk bone type things, or there are small marrow bone treats (they have big and small so make sure you get the small ones). So your uncle can still treat FREQUENTLY during the day, but each treat is small. You can even put dog kibble in the new treat container so they are getting some of their normal meal/calories during the day as a treat!

That's the marrow treats...

If you have to lock up and hide the rest of the treats.... that's fine. But I bet if you can still have many SMALL treats available for use during the day, and a small enough container so when it's empty that's it, he'll do much better.

REMEMBER, if kibble is used during the day as treats, you can cut back on the amount of dinner and your dog will still remain healthy and fit.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

why don't you put the treats somewhere where your
uncle can't find them, ummm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I love the idea of the small treats I hadn't thought of that (duh). Maybe I could even find some that are low fat.

As for hiding the treats, that I had thought of, but there is no room in my pantry. And even my downstairs closet is filled up to overflowing. I will have to install a new shelf this weekend to make room for them (I am so not kidding) but I guess if that is what I have to do then I will be breaking out the stud finder and the drill this weekend and putting in a new shelf.

Debbi-
Mom to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah just baggie them up per day and hide the rest...it's what I do for my kids,lol. They want to give the dog treats, the want the dogs do love them, and they feel like their doing something good so they get carried away and don't notice a whole jar is gone. If you measure it for him he doesn't have to feel slow or bad, and your dogs still get treats
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Oh, I really like the baggie idea to (hadn't thought of that either). Then I could do a week at a time and just leave them out. One thing was, honestly, I really don't have time to be measuring out treats in the morning before work either. But if I could do a week's worth on Sunday...that would be ideal. Then all I would have to do is leave the baggie on the table for him.

I wonder if he would come install some shelves for me this weekend in my closet?

Thanks guys for the ideas!!!

Debbi-
Mom to:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with everyone else - daily allotment and hide the rest. LOL! And definitely small treats, or even treats broken into pieces. I completely understand your concern about the extra weight on the hips. You are right. He isn't doing this on purpose. It is wonderful that you have him. It is also wonderful that you have provided him with this "job." I'm sure he loves helping with the dogs. Everyone wants to feel useful and needed.

And now - if only Zoey's Mom could baggie up MY daily allowance of chocolate and snacks. SIGH!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

He IS wonderful!! And I know without a doubt that he doesn't do it on purpose. In fact, I get upset with my mom when she yells at him. I know she gets upset and frustrated because her 2 little dogs are so overweight and it is because he continuously hands out the treats there as well but he really doesn't realize what he is doing. And he would really give you the shirt off of his back. He even comes over and walks Dharma in the rain and snow. And I couldn't have this job if it wasn't for him because I wouldn't be able to leave the dogs home alone that long.

And tonight he said he would come over and stay with Tessa while Dharma and I go to obedience class on Thurs nights because of Tessa's separation anxiety.

I think you are right as well, I think he likes to feel needed and useful, too. And Lord knows he is needed!!!

Debbi-
Mom to:

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

And he is crazy about the girls. Whenever I go to my parents house, he will always ask "How are my buddies doing?". Even if he just saw them the day before.

Debbi-
Mom to:

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM

You could even go that one step further and label the bags for each dog, for each day. That way your dog with hip probs isn't getting more than her share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page