Just ordered a wireless IP camera... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered a wireless IP camera...

I'm going to watch Daisy via the web while at work. I want to keep an eye on her and make sure she's ok.

My neighbor works at the school across the street and said she'd look in on her but I'll reserve those favors for when Daisy is in trouble.

I was told by a coworker that I'm crazy.. hahahahah

Can't wait... this should be interesting.. watching a dog lay around all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Enjoy!
I use a program called iCam to occasionally monitor whatís going on at home while I am out. Iíve gotten to watch my pups wrestle and play while Iím slaving away at work, or using the iPhone app watch and see how long it takes them to notice Iím coming home (walking up the stairs to the apt? nothing. Key in the door? Still nothing Silly Cavaliers...canít wait to get another GSD!)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM

iCam is a good one. I use it as well. Have one camera on the pups and one in another random part of the house set to motion/push alert and record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM

I had a rescue friend do this with the iCam. About 5 of us were checking in throughout the day on her 4 dogs... they slept the entire day! We didn't see anything exciting
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Master Member

I have set the web cam up in my house on a number of occasions

First was monitoring Timber after his neuter to make sure he wasn't licking/chewing when we were at work.

And then on my incubator when we were hatching chicks.

I used uStream.

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Master Member

Yeah your listed in my book of crazy people.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Ooh, awesome- I'm going to use Icam to check on our dogs to see how they're progressing with SA. Right now we just get the first 2.5 hours on video via my ipod touch, but it shuts off after that.

Regen, rescue female GSD born 4/09, adopted 4/30/2010.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aka "Osa," WGSL GSD female born 7/08, brought home 12/24/10.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runswithdogs View Post
Ooh, awesome- I'm going to use Icam to check on our dogs to see how they're progressing with SA. Right now we just get the first 2.5 hours on video via my ipod touch, but it shuts off after that.
You know when I asked you about SA in your other thread, Tobin would tear up his crate trying to get out. Of course, he was on the opposite side of the room as Ruger, but they could still see each other (wife wanted to put his crate there because "it looked better" go figure). I moved his crate next to Ruger's and he's absolutely fine. I actually have Tobin on iCam escaping out of his crate.

Yeah iCam is great. You can check from your iphone or android phone and even check from online. I always have a tab open with iCam on my browser and see what they're up to. Plus with the other camera I have in the other room where the dogs can't get to, I have my push alerts and motion record on, so it will send me a notification to my phone when it detects motion and record it. Two $20 webcams from walmart and $5 for the app. Thats all I've spent on it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Do you know if you can use an Ipod touch camera as a webcam? I know I can use my MacBook camera but am thinking about when we start trying to have the dogs uncrated and would probably need 2 cameras to capture what they are doing.

I'm so glad you posted the link to iCam, it is a brilliant idea!

Regen, rescue female GSD born 4/09, adopted 4/30/2010.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aka "Osa," WGSL GSD female born 7/08, brought home 12/24/10.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runswithdogs View Post
Do you know if you can use an Ipod touch camera as a webcam? I know I can use my MacBook camera but am thinking about when we start trying to have the dogs uncrated and would probably need 2 cameras to capture what they are doing.

I'm so glad you posted the link to iCam, it is a brilliant idea!
I don't think you can. Unless there's some way you could hook up your Touch to your Macbook and make the Macbook recognize the Touch as a camera. You need a laptop/desktop to start/run the program and the Touch can only run the app. The only way I think you could do that is jailbreak the Touch, even then I don't think it would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page