Crate mishap - teeth locked - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Crate mishap - teeth locked

Hi,

I'm new here. Just adopted a GSD mix, Jaxon, he is 9 wks old. I am crate training him, of course. I went ahead and bought a larger crate so he can grow into it. It has a divider to make it smaller as he grows. Well yesterday he was mouthing at it and got his teeth stuck around the bars. I was upstairs in shower and heard what was not normal crying. So I came flying downstairs and it took me about a min to pry him loose. Several people have told me he won't do it again after that experience, but I am a little nervous about leaving him alone in that crate now. Should I just get another crate? Appreciate any suggestions? He isn't alone often, but I am afraid to leave at all.

Thank you!
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 PM

My pup did that too, poor thing was NOT happy. She has not done it since but we did keep a close eye on her in the crate after that.

Aaron

Lijha ~ Sable GSD
Noni ~ Lhasa Apso
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowerink View Post
Hi,

I'm new here. Just adopted a GSD mix, Jaxon, he is 9 wks old. I am crate training him, of course. I went ahead and bought a larger crate so he can grow into it. It has a divider to make it smaller as he grows. Well yesterday he was mouthing at it and got his teeth stuck around the bars. I was upstairs in shower and heard what was not normal crying. So I came flying downstairs and it took me about a min to pry him loose. Several people have told me he won't do it again after that experience, but I am a little nervous about leaving him alone in that crate now. Should I just get another crate? Appreciate any suggestions? He isn't alone often, but I am afraid to leave at all.

Thank you!
Laura
My female was going into her own wire crate one time and her foot managed to slip between the wire at the bottome while stepping in and twisted it pretty good. I use this crate now. No possibility of getting anything stuck anywhere. No possibility of escape. Mine has even survived me totaling my truck.. its virtually undamaged and still in use so you have some piece of mind in transport too (dog wasn't in it at the time)

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Laura: Keep an eye on Jaxon for the next few days when he is in the crate. The good news is that he won't do it again (basic animal instant).

Hunter: Where did you get that bullet-proof crate ? Looks like it's all stanless steel and well built easy to clean as well.

Abhi.

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post

Dear lord where did you get the doggy prison? I have to say that it is quite impressive, and I now have crate envy.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahazra View Post
Hunter: Where did you get that bullet-proof crate ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

Its aluminum. Its your standard run of the mill working dog crate Very easy to clean, very safe for the dog. Bars too close together to get teeth in there. She actually seems to like it.. I guess the half closed sides gives her some comfort? You can get them all over but that one came from elitek9

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for your responses. He hasn't attempted anything like that again. Appreciate the crate suggestion. That crate is awesome!

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page