Yappy Neighbor Dog - ARGH! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yappy Neighbor Dog - ARGH!

Okay, so a new tenant has moved in with the guys renting the house behind me. He has a little dog that looks like a cross between a Boston Terrier and a Jack Russell. This little dog barks constantly when he's outside and if there is anybody else around, like if I'm out in the yard with my dogs.

And he drives my youngster, Boaz, bonkers, and I AM working on him. It's hard in the cold and snow and ice though. When spring comes I'll be able to get him in line, so I'm not worried about that. I'm more interested in getting the little dog to stop view me as a threat, especially since I spend a lot of time out there with my dogs.

Shushing the terrier doesn't do anything, and he only moves closer and and barks at me more. So, I'm thinking of tossing pieces of food at him to make him happy to see me. Well, that's the idea, at least. Seems I've heard other people here suggest that in the past.

What do you think? Since the owner doesn't care enough to tell his dog to shut up or bring it inside, I'm guessing there's no point in talking to the guy. And frankly, it makes me so angry that I might sound really bitchy if I do say something. And the other guys living there are so nice, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

You're probably right about it not doing any good, but I would still do a courtesy visit to let the guy know what's going on and what your plan is.

If they see that you're giving their dog treats over the fence and, God forbid, anything happens to their dog, I can see a war starting.

Also, it's just possible the guy doesn't know any better a little education might do him some good.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't give food without asking. The dog could have allergies, or the guy could accuse you of trying to poison it. People are weird. I'd talk to the guy nicely and hope for the best, try to talk friendly to the dog through the fence, all nicey nice and maybe the dog willg et used to you eventually.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

I've had problems with back yard neighbors who refuse to shut thier dog up. When it gets to the point of being so annoying you can't take it anymore, if you've spoken to them before, they know who called animal control.

Your best bet is to pick a time when the dog is barking it's head off and you know that your animal control office is closed. Call the police department and tell them this dog barks all the time, it's been barking for x amount of time and it's violating your right to have peace and quiet.

Usually if a PD has to deal with animal control issues, there's tickets. It's also far more intimidating to have a police officer banging on the door than it is an animal control office.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the good points. We don't have animal control, so that wouldn't be an option anyway. I really would like to discuss training with the owner, but seems like people don't like being told what to do with their animals.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Knighted Member

First I would try knocking on the door, introducing yourself and your dogs. After you figure out what kind of person your dealing with bring up the fact that thier dog is yappy (nicely) if possible.
If you don't want to go that route, I use a empty plastic drink container with pebbles or something in it, when the dog yaps at the fence toss it at the fence.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Master Member

Rather than telling the neighbers that their dog is a little s(*& yappy ankle biter you might introduce yourself and tell them that their dog gets upset when you are near because he doesn't know who you are and wants to protect their house so you want to get to know the dog so it can relax.

If you make it sound positive the owner will be more receptive and hopefully meeting you will keep him quiet. If you ask right it could also get the owner to try to socialize the dog more.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

I think it is worth a try to meet the dog so maybe he won't bark at you anymore, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't help. He is likely doing it because he is bored.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Elite Member

Meeting the dogs in person does not seem to help. Its the whole "its my yard" thing going on. I actually have rescued two of our neighbors dogs off a busy street, because their electric fence was not working. (Not a fan!)

Dogs still bark at me and my dogs. One is a german shepherd and the owners apologized and said "I guess she just likes to bark at your dogs!" She is out all day unattended..

If you call police or animal control, they will hate you forever! But, the dog does shut up, because they have to keep it inside.

My advice..look at it as a learning distraction/opportunity! You all can learn to ignore it. Good luck...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Its the whole "its my yard" thing going on.
I actually had my back yard neighbor - not the dog the woman - tell me that's your yard and this is mine. Well not really becuase she rents and I own but whatver lady does it not annoy you thatyour dog is out here barking it's brains out at my dog?

Obviously it did because they got rid of that dog when it was about a year old - poor thing sat out in the yard all the time for like 2 months before it disappeared.

Now they have a little dirty mop looking dog who comes over the fence looking for trouble with my dogs. Otto is a pretty inventive dog, he figured out he could fence run with it and growl at it but if he didn't bark, HE didn't get in trouble. As soon as the Queen walks over to the fence and WOOFS at it, it runs to the other side of the yard and hides.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page