it's getting interesting on craigslist - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

it's getting interesting on craigslist

In one day there were like five or six posts from military families dumping their pets again. I guess people are just tired of families that move from duty station to dutystaion dumping the pet just to get the next one on the new duty station.

I am so sick myself reading those posts because it's really not that hard to take your pet with you if you start planning before you move. If they would put a little money on the side for each month they'd have the money by the time they move. Our cat would have died if it wasn't for the neighbors giving her food and water because she was left in the house without any of that by a fellow military family.

watertown pets classifieds - craigslist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

You are so right, all it takes is a little pre planning. If these people want pets, fine, but they should think ahead to when they have to move, and have a plan before they bring any pet home.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Knighted Member

It's things like that that make me hate people.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Me too. It's one reason why I started to stay away from people on post as far as possible. Not all of them are like that though but the majority is and that is what makes me so sick.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

To bad, the posts are already removed.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

I know this is going to sound ignorant, but is that one of the reasons that there seems to be so many dogs in NC and SC?
It seems like a lot of the URGENT listings come from this area.
Being from MN, we have no military bases in our area. Kind of sad that they dump a pet and then do the same thing all over at their next posting.
If you know, what's the average amount of time someone spends at a base?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

My daughter has accepted a position that will move her across the country. She has a beagle that has issues. She wouldn't dream of leaving him behind. However, she has been given the opportunity to allow a retired gentleman (current neighbor) who used to hunt with beagles to adopt him. She is seriously considering what is best for her dog (he is 5) and not what is best for her, as she will be moving into an apt. which will leave her beagle in a kennel for 12 hours a day.

Her move isn't for a couple of months, but she is contacting doggy day cares etc. so she can make the best decision possible.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The average time-span is three years and it's not just a problem in the US it is literally all over the world, wherever you find military families you will find overflowing shelters too.

I actually write on my blog about it every so often. Here is a list with articles of military families and abandoning pets.

Head over Heels into Dog Handling: Military Families abandoning their pets
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
My daughter has accepted a position that will move her across the country. She has a beagle that has issues. She wouldn't dream of leaving him behind. However, she has been given the opportunity to allow a retired gentleman (current neighbor) who used to hunt with beagles to adopt him. She is seriously considering what is best for her dog (he is 5) and not what is best for her, as she will be moving into an apt. which will leave her beagle in a kennel for 12 hours a day.

Her move isn't for a couple of months, but she is contacting doggy day cares etc. so she can make the best decision possible.
Now that is responsible. She is planning ahead, the people I've seen didn't do that. They literally waited until a couple of days before the move to realize "Oh, we don't have the money to take them."
And then leave them behind.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

Mrs. K - although I hate to think of this happening, I too have noticed on Craigslist in my area many people attempting to re-home due to the military. Do you think that there are some (albeit scum of the earth) people stating that they are military in an effort to sell their pets? Perhaps seeking to pull on the heart strings of people, and make a buck off of our military?

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page