Should she ask for a refund?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Should she ask for a refund??

My friend sent her german shepherd mix away to be trained at a kennels for 2 weeks. She was then to pick the dog up afterwards when it was all done. I really advised her against it, as I believe you must be involved with the training and cannot expect a miracle after 2 weeks but she heard the testimonials on their site from other happy customers and decided to go along with it. She even refused help from the trainer I went to with Rio, stating she "Just wanted it done".

Well she went to pick the dog up and was told the dog has a thumb sized mark on his face which they believe he must have caught the hair on something and pulled it out. They brought the dog to a vets and she was given some tablets to take home with her to help the healing. Next, as they went through the training with her, the dog refused to do anything except heel. They stated on their site that a minimum she could expect when she picked him up was sit, heel, down and stay on first command and there is even a video of a dog preforming theses commands on the site to prove the fact. Her dog will not do this. He did not do this on the day and it was put down to exitement from seeing her again.

My friend believed them, paid 500 euro and was given the advice to work on the commands at home. Well he is home now and is still not preforming the tasks. She is very dissaponted and out alot of money. She is thinking about asking for a refund, do you agree or should i tell her to chalk it down to experience and use better judgement next time??

I had a bad feeling against it anyway but I know she got sucked in by all their promises. What do you think she should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 AM

Yeah I agree on being involved with the training of your dog. It's like sending your kid away to foster parents and then complain he/she doesn't see you as a parent (to take an extreme example). Actually, if you get an active dog like a GSD, wouldn't you be thrilled to train this super smart dog yourself?
I don't have advise on the rest of the matter. Can't believe someone would send her dog away to get trained by someone else

Feel free to add me on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member

There is nothing wrong with boarded training... Simple fact is a skilled trainer can make a bunch of progress that a regular Joe can't make nearly as fast. They don't sound all that skilled though

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Crowned Member

The handler needs to be trained along with the dog.
Because your friend wanted quick results without putting any effort into the training, I say this problem lies with the owner's skills not the dog or the training facility.
A dog needs to be engaged with the handler and want to do what is asked of him.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
The handler needs to be trained along with the dog.
Because your friend wanted quick results without putting any effort into the training, I say this problem lies with the owner's skills not the dog or the training facility.
A dog needs to be engaged with the handler and want to do what is asked of him.
That's true. I have considered sending my dogs to 2 weeks of full-time training just to get a boost (and I can't train that frequently), but I am fully engaged in their training... Just want to enlist the help of true experts.

They should have been able to demo the learned skills after a few mins of calming the dog and using it's fav motivator

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

catz, maybe send your friend this link. There are several short free clips that may be of help with her training her own dog. And the clips may just get her enthusiasm up to actually work with her dog more!Leerburg Streaming Video

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Elite Member

I almost always advise against this sort of training. You have no idea what is being done to your while he's away. Some pretty bad training can result from trainers trying to get a dog "fully trained" in 2 weeks. And like your friend is finding out, the dogs don't necessarily listen any better at home. The dog may well perform commands at the kennel for that trainer but still be unresponsive in a different environment. It takes a lot more than two weeks to get a dog trained well enough that he responds to commands no matter where he is or what is going on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

Did she even get a demo when she picked him up to verify that the dog learned anything? There's no telling otherwise whether it's ineffective training on the trainers part of ineffective training on the owners part. The dog may just be blowing her off. That doesn't mean the trainer didn't teach him to do these things.

The facility we train at offers board/train options for various things, but it includes a demo, and a private training session for as long as it takes for the owner to understand how to communicate with the dog. It's extremely effective from what I've seen, but the owner has to be 100% on board with training themselves too, not just the dog.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

The two place I'd consider boarding my dogs at are both folks I've already trained with and trust. I'd never go to a random obedience boarding place if I can't observe how they train.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

I generally don't recommend those board and train type places for basic obedience/pet dogs. If your dog needs to be boarded and you just decided to have them work a little on training while they're there, that's a different matter.
However the programs I've seen like this, they always included at least one session after with the owner to show the owner how to work with the dog. If they just handed the dog over after the 2 weeks was up, I'd say there is something wrong there. If the dog does not know the behaviors the trainer agreed to train, then yes I would ask for their money back.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page