Ozzy got freaked out on his walk today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Ozzy got freaked out on his walk today

Had something happen while walking Ozzy around the neighborhood this evening. We were walking down our street and were almost home. When I spotted two adult Labs loose in a front yard. Before I could even think, they both saw Ozzy and started sprinting toward us. I told Ozzy to sit and he obeyed. The dogs immediately started sniffing Ozzy and he was checking them out as well. One was a large intact Male and the other was a smaller female. I recognized them. They belong to a couple that just moved into the neighborhood a few months ago. I tried to get the Labs to back off so I could keep moving with Ozzy. The Large male was not acting aggressive, but he was not putting off a good vibe either. As I tried to move Ozzy along, the Labs persisted to follow us and sniff Ozzy. He finally got freaked out and started peeing in the street. Then he tried to run under a SUV to get away. I had never seen him act this way before. He is always really comfortable when meeting other dogs that are leashed. As we got to the house where the Labs live the owners were nowhere in sight and I was practically dragging Ozzy down the street. About that time a guy that lives a few doors down from me let his Boston Terrier out of the front door. He didnt come after Ozzy and the Labs ran over to the Boston. I quickly walked Ozzy past them to our house. What the F is wrong with people! If it happens again, I wont be so nice. Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent. Hopefully Ozzy is not scarred from this experience. I plan on speaking with the owners of the Labs tomorrow.

Ozzy (Dark Sable GSD) - 9/30/2010
Sugar (Boxer) - 2/6/2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You need a better plan, cause I'm not getting that you were controlled and relaxed.

Were you happy and greeting the Labs as the friendly dogs they were? Did you say 'Hey look Ozzy at those beautiful offleash Labs running towards us, aren't they beautiful happy happy joy joy what a wonderful day to make new friends?'

Or, instead were you freaked and dragging Ozzy away in a bit of a panic?

I've found I can either take control and add to the 'good' of a meeting. Or let the meeting go awry and let everything go on around me like I'm a feather in the wind REACTING to stuff rather than being proactive with 'a plan'.

My plan is to always get my body between the oncoming dogs and my dogs to determine if the oncoming are friendly or really coming in for the kill. Meanwhile I am in such a happy happy voice to make my pup THINK everything is fine, and the oncoming dogs may think I know them to and look at ME rather than my pup (good thing, look at ME!!!).

I've found if I can greet the new dogs first and stay happy, that is taking CONTROL of the situation and is very calming and soothing to my pup. So even if it's new and a bit overwhelming the puppy thinks 'heck, mom is delighted to see these dogs, nothing happened to mom when she got to them first, so I guess I'll just let them sniff me and see what happens.

I do not drag my puppy anyways. If she is so freaked she won't move, and nothing REAL is happening, then we can just sit and wait until she calms down and I continue with my happy voice with the other dogs until they get bored out of their gourds and go away. I'm still there to take control. My puppy feels save sitting near and just taking everything in, and another day of real life with off leash dogs is under our belts.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Master Member

Were you stressin'? Maybe Ozzy was picking up on your stress and that's what caused him to act the way he did. How old is your pup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Master Member

What MaggieRoseLee said.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I was very relaxed in the beginning and was trying to treat it as a positive thing. I was even petting the labs while the dogs were checking each other out. He was doing fine at first and I let them spend a couple of minutes getting to know each other. Then I told him lets go and he started walking. They kept after him and thats when he got freaked out. I probably just should have stopped again instead of trying to urge him down the street. I am just very annoyed with people just letting their dogs out of the front door when they have a fenced in back yard. What if Ozzy was a full size adult instead of an 18 week old puppy and he decided he needed to protect his master. Its just not a good situation. Thank you guys for the advice!

Ozzy (Dark Sable GSD) - 9/30/2010
Sugar (Boxer) - 2/6/2001
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyGSD View Post
I was very relaxed in the beginning and was trying to treat it as a positive thing. I was even petting the labs while the dogs were checking each other out. He was doing fine at first and I let them spend a couple of minutes getting to know each other. Then I told him lets go and he started walking. They kept after him and thats when he got freaked out. I probably just should have stopped again instead of trying to urge him down the street. I am just very annoyed with people just letting their dogs out of the front door when they have a fenced in back yard. What if Ozzy was a full size adult instead of an 18 week old puppy and he decided he needed to protect his master. Its just not a good situation. Thank you guys for the advice!
I couldn't agree with you more. I live in a rural area where people from town love to dump off their unwanted dogs (many, many pit bulls). Encountering strays is an all too common occurrance. When I walk Kain, I always carry my pistol, more for his protection than mine. Luckily, I've never been forced to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page