I am very mad! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I am very mad!

So I have a neighbor with a Chocolate lab that I baby sat a while ago. She just told me they are thinking about putting him down because he is to agressive. UM NO not agressive mouthy there is a difference. He is a big heafty boy. He is only 1 year old. I just told her exactly what I thought. That she took the responsibility on getting a larger dog. They said they didn't take him to training because they didn't have the money. I said well you should have waited untill you did. They recently took him to like 3 sessions at petsmart then quit because they said it was not working. I said well you could train him yourself do research get on a dog forum watch you tube videos. I said I trained smokey all by my self starting when I was 8 and it is not to late to train him now. I told her I just taught Smokey how to close doors and cabinets. She did not respond to any of that. Ugggggg

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

PetsMart is not the best place to go for training. If you could find a good trainer and give them that info, it might be helpful. But if they are set on killing the dog, there is not much you can do about it.

Their ought to be a "do not sell" list for puppies and dogs. Because money or not, these people will go out and bring home another puppy to screw up and dispose of.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I have already gave her a good list of places to go and today I gave her a good forum to go on. They just got another dog a few months ago that was wandering around town he is a smaller dog and a much better fit for them. They just keep telling me how much they wish they big dog was like my smokey. Well I told them he just did not magically learn everything he knows it takes time and patience and all I got was an I know. It is a mom and daughter the dog is owned by the daughter who is 18. From what I have seen the mom does more even though she never really wanted him to start with, but let the daughter get him anyway. They dont exercise him at all and stays in the crate most of the time.

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Could you offer to teach them how to train their dog?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Master Member

What a terrible shame for that poor dog. PTS only for being completely failed by his owners. No excercise and kept in a crate? What a sad existence for a young dog.

Sarah

Khyber GSD

Mr. Coal BFBC (big fat black cat)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Master Member

Give them info on rescue groups in your area. I'm sure there are plenty of organizations (include breed groups) who would be willing to re-home him rather than see him euthanized. Gather some info from local vets, breed clubs, and training clubs, too...if the owner calls or reaches out to these animal-oriented resources, I'm willing to be she can find a good home for this poor dog quickly. Not much of a life for him right now - crated all day as a reward for doing exactly as they have taught him (you teach by NOT teaching, too!) from the get go. A mouthy 8 week old puppy is "cute", the same puppy at 1.5 years exhibiting the same behavior is a nuisance -- it's not the poor dog's fault he grew up!!

-LeeAnn
There are two kinds of dogs: Dogs who are German Shepherds, and dogs who WISH they were German Shepherds....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Echo of Someday Vom Royale, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

That is what I have told them I know I could train him with some some. The only thing is. If I am teaching him no or dont touch or not begging they could be doing it a different way when I am not there and would just confuse him and I will be moving in a few months. I don't think they would stick with what I would do. I feel so sorry for him. He has such a bad diet to. They give him a crap food with human food all the time when I baby sat him he pooped like 7 times a day no joke and he litterally farted all the time..... bad bad diet. He loves the death out of me. I am the only exercise he has ever really got I have took him swimming, bikeing and to the dog park a few times. He would be such a good dog. I will gather that information for her. I am big on researching everything.

Chief-GSD
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 PM

I know how you feel. My neighbor had a gsd, female 1 yr. They kept her in a crate in the garage all day, this with a stay at home wife. She was to busy with 3 kids. When dad came home she was let out in yard and fed. The only exercise she got was when I would ask if she could come in our yard to play with Frodo, she absolutely loved this time. They gave her away when they left to visit family. The reason - she jumped on people and would knock the small kids down and chew on their toys. All things that are easily fixable. She to had bad diet, Walmart food. I wish they would have told me they were gonna get rid of her, I seriously would have considered taking her. It really is a shame how some people view their pets. I hope for the best for this lab.

Frodo - GSD, DOB 12/13/2007, Diagnosed EPI 10/21/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge - Chance
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Some people should not be dog owners. A true dog lover will go to any means to make the best life for their pet. You could probably give these people "Lassie" and she would be ruined in no time because they will not take the time to learn what is needed to keep her happy. I don't care what breed it is. unless it is dead it will never be happy and well ajusted living with these people.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I feel so sorry for him!! I gave them a forum name and my dads wife their lanlord gave them a rescue list before I could. They just dont want to take the time to teach their dog things just just think he will magically know stuff.

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page