AKC Registration Question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

AKC Registration Question.

First off, I had no idea where to put this, so if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.

A while back, I think someone said that you could send in a photo of your dog and if it looked like a GSD (or in my case, a Pom), then you could register the dog with the AKC. Ozzy isn't currently AKC registered, but I think that if I want to do agility and possibly obedience with him, I'd like to get him registered to possibly make my life a little easier when show time comes.

There's an upcoming dog show, and it says, "Only dogs of AKC registerable breeds and age (6 months and over) can be on the show grounds." Does that mean that I could take Ozzy to the show and try and register him with the AKC at the show?

I'm not sure how the process goes or anything, I'm just wondering if I could get Ozzy registered with the AKC. And if I could, how could I go about having that done?

ETA: I still have no plans on breeding him. I just think it would be easier to compete in the venues if he was registered.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Last edited by Konotashi; 02-03-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Crowned Member

You need to go to the AKC site and fill out the forms for a PALS number. You will need to fill it out and send in a picture and proof of neutering from your vet. It will take a while.

You can not get this done at a dog show and you can not take your dog there without being a competitor.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Does he have to be neutered in order to be registered? Could I have a vasectomy done on him instead? :/ (If I can find a vet to do it...).

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Crowned Member

No. Your dog must be neutered and that's because a judge could not tell for sure that your dog really had a vasectomy done.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Master Member

American Kennel Club - Dog Registration Questions

I have never tried doing that with the AKC so, I don't know if it would work or how easy it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post

There's an upcoming dog show, and it says, "Only dogs of AKC registerable breeds and age (6 months and over) can be on the show grounds." Does that mean that I could take Ozzy to the show and try and register him with the AKC at the show?
I think that you could take Ozzy to the show grounds if you wanted since he looks PB Pom (I think...I'm not very good identifying the smaller breeds ) but I don't think that anyone there could help you with that registration process.

Edit: Elaine has a point - I don't think you can take Ozzy if he's not competing at the show.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I could carry proof of his vasectomy on me at all times. lol (Kidding).

Seeing as how he'd have to be neutered... is there that great of a benefit to the PAL registration vs. showing him without it? I haven't looked into it very deep, since it'll be a little while before we'll actually be able to compete....

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Crowned Member

The vast majority of dog shows out there are AKC and getting a PALS is the only way you can participate in them. There are other types of shows out there that don't require neutering.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This might be a dumb question, but how do they know if a female is spayed?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Crowned Member

If there is any question, you can always look for the spay scar. I have never seen a dog checked at a dog show for evidence of neutering or spaying except in the breed ring where they always check for the presence of both testicles.

Elaine and the herd
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I sent an e-mail asking if a vasectomy (with proof) was acceptable. Not expecting a yes, but it's worth a shot.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page