chewing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

chewing

hello my name is joe and i have a 1yr 2mo old GSD named trigger I have had him since he was 5 weeks old for the most part he is a great dog. He is alittle hyper still but I can live with that I have had training for him and he listens to everything I say and all my hand signals but the problem is whenever i leave to go to work or the gym he will destroy my living room and chew my couches. now I have to keep a basket muzzel on him he can still drink and bark he just cant chew. So I did some reading up and it said he could be restless or boared ok so I started running a mile before i go to work and a mile before I go to sleep with him. so I wake up this morning (my day off) I go to the gym and I test him and leave his basket muzzel off i come home and same thing. My trainer either said to crate him or keep the basket muzzel on untill he gets over it but i dont want to crate a 70 lb GSD when im at work for 8hrs just doesnt seem fair lol. I also have not gotten him fixed yet and i think that might contribute to the problem. If anyone has gone through this and has any advice i would appriciate it thank you
joe and trigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

There is nothing wrong with crating your dog and it's a much better thing than having your house destroyed or your dog chewing up something bad and dying from it. Most of us crate our dogs when we can't watch them for at least the first year until they can be trusted to be left loose.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

Crates are better than destruction. Neutering is not a cure all for training issues.
What are you doing for training? A mile run doesn't get it for a smart dog. They need to work their mind too. I'd much rather crate than muzzle. Or build a kennel that he cannot destroy.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Master Member

It's hard to feel sorry for someone who has the perfect solution (crating) and refuses to use it. Get a second job and plan to redo you home every few months.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the response elaine i have been thinking hard about doing that but i am also going to be putting him into protection training soon and it defeats the purpose. if i have to i have to but i am looking for a alternate solution so im kinda holding off if i can
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

What does a crate have to do with training in protection??? If anything it will just build up his energy level so you have to work him more when he is not crated. Many dogs that are in intensive training are kenneled and not allowed free reign of a home.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

if im not at home and someone breaks into my home what good is protection training if he is in the crate thats what i was getting at about that
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

thank you onxy and elaine for your input so what I take from what you all are saying is I have to wait it out and crate him and thats the only way to get him to stop chewing my couch. I appriciate your time thank you
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

Joe, when he is trained and proofed, then he can be loose in the home. Until then the crate is the safest place for him...what are you doing now for training?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I have his obedience training that I do everyother day on and off lead. I do that two or three times durring those days about 10-15 at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page