When is it reasonable to look into a guard dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

When is it reasonable to look into a guard dog?

I've seen threads where people state they want a guard dog and members tell them to get home security, especially while the dog is still a puppy. I'm not saying those members are wrong, heck I'm probably one of them, but that brings me to the question.

If you can get home security, then when should you look at getting a guard dog? Why do people have guard dogs? To protect them, right?

I was interested in a guard dog because I would have been living by myself and I'm a woman. Is that valid or do I fit in the category of getting home security?

Also, while at it, what is desired in a potential guard dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

Using the words "Guard Dog" is really misleading. You should really say "First Alert Dog" or "Warning Dog". A dog, no matter what their size or training can not stop a bullet or a criminal with intent on doing you harm.

I'm not sure if it's still true, but there was a time when statistics proved that people with dogs in their house / yard had a lessor chance of a break in then those who didn't. Mostly because theives want to get in and out queitly. A barking dog alerts neighbors.

Utilizing a dog as part of your defense scheme is understandable and encouraged. But thinking your safety is based on a dog is underestimating our society.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Master Member

Most crimes are crimes of opportunity and a criminal will usually go for the path of least resistance., i.e., no gate, no dog, no one home. A dog is a very good deterrent, however nothing is fool proof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Crowned Member

I'm a woman and I live by myself a lot of the time. My husband works out of town, he usually flies out on Monday and flies back home on Friday. My home security system consists of my dog(s), who alert bark when they see/hear anything unusual and bark like crazy when somebody comes to the door, and a good home defense shotgun.

Here in TX, everybody has a gun. The good guys have guns and the bad guys have guns. If somebody is willing to break into my house even though there's a barking German Shepherd or two, they are planning to deal with the dog-- probably by killing it. So my dog is a first line of defense to scare of the 99% of bad guys that don't really want to deal with a dog. For the methed-up desperado who's stupid or strung out enough to break in anyway, they get me and my 12-gauge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Crowned Member

Unless you take your dog everywhere with you, then you may feel vulnerable when your dog is not around. Better to learn self defense and carry a gun if you want to feel protected.
A dog is just a deterrent and a bullet from a criminal will stop that deterrent in an instant.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcreekranch View Post
Most crimes are crimes of opportunity and a criminal will usually go for the path of least resistance., i.e., no gate, no dog, no one home. A dog is a very good deterrent, however nothing is fool proof.
and a home alarm is an ineffective deterrent. most of them time they are already in full-crime-swing when they realize there was an alarm.

Interestingly, many of the people I don't want to be around are also the most afraid of a gsd.

Even more interesting to me, ask enough k9 handlers and you'll find that in their experience there are a lot of baaaad men who aren't afraid of being shot, tazed or pepper sprayed, but are horrified at the thought of a dog biting them for some reason.

I have a home alarm, but its never been turned on. I don't even lock my doors. I just have the dogs, and an m4 and a 9mm on my bedstand. And a can of bear spray. I am a single male

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Unless you take your dog everywhere with you, then you may feel vulnerable when your dog is not around. Better to learn self defense and carry a gun if you want to feel protected.
A dog is just a deterrent and a bullet from a criminal will stop that deterrent in an instant.
can't take a gun everywhere either. infact mostly the same places. pepper spray is better. It will stop a crime every bit as fast as a bullet will, and there are no concerns about killing the wrong person.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
can't take a gun everywhere either. infact mostly the same places. .
That depends completely on the laws in your area. There are very few places I can't take my gun, and I generally avoid those places.

Personally I think that the best self-defense is strong situational awareness skills, and then a combination of whatever you're comfortable using. Don't buy a gun if you're not comfortable with the thought of killing somebody. Don't carry pepper spray if you're not confident in it. Don't get a PPD if you're going to get attached to it and feel conflicted about putting the dog in danger.

Personally I think that everybody who's even mildly worried about personal safety should train in a practical martial art or fighting style. Something that can't be taken away or turned against you.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 02-02-2011 at 12:05 PM.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
That depends completely on the laws in your area. There are very few places I can't take my gun, and I generally avoid those places.
well, here, anywhere alcohol is served, no public buildings, no places of education, no parks or places where children play, no financial places. And then no where where they notify you no concealed weapons, which rapidly is becoming all the places I'd have prefered to have it lol

Actually if you finagle a service animal certification no one can stop you from taking the dog anywhere

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Crowned Member

Crap I just saw you're in TX... yeah I'm willing to bet your laws are a little more lax lol

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page