question about ofa number - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

question about ofa number

Could some one please explain what this number means OFA#GS82004G31M-NOPI.
Its my dogs dads number. I see GS means the breed German Shepard and the rest I am not sure of. I think the 82004 means the number he was tested, but not sure. And does the M mean he is microchiped? but the NOPI I have no clue what it means. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

I have no idea what NOPI stands for, but you can look him up on the OFA website. Here's his info: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

You can see he tested Good for hips but they didn't test his elbows. One of his offspring was tested for hips and elbows and came back good hips, normal elbows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Well thats nice to see he was some what tested. He wasnt when I bought a puppy from his liter. But like so many people I was very uneducated when I purchased my puppy. I only started to learn some of this stuff after the fact when I came on her out of curiosity. I wish I would have educated my self before I got a puppy. luckaly I got a great dog that at the moment seems very healty and is a great dog, and has the best termperment I could ask for. At what age should you get your dogs hips and elbows tested? Im not breeding but I would still like to know his health. And does your local vet do this testing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

You can get prelims done as early as 4 months. I would only use a vet that is experienced in positioning. Dr Mos Mostosky in Marshall Alta-Tollhaus German Shepherd Dogs is a pioneer in the field and fairly priced. He will read the x-rays so you don't have to have them sent out. For official OFA's they should be done at two yrs old.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

My personal opinion is that it's really not worth it to do with a dog that you're not planning to breed. I know x-rays aren't cheap and the dog has to be sedated. I figure if my dog has hip problems we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. And even a dog with excellent hips can still have orthopedic problems. When Rocky started limping I had him checked out by the vet-- turns out his hips are fine but he has arthritis in his spine!

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

I think it is important, and if you do any type of sport work with your dog, then prelims are necessary. If there is a problem, early management is key to stopping the problems from getting worse.

Breeders also want to know what they are producing and many breeders have it in their contracts that hips/elbows are required before you can get full registration.
The dog can be mildly sedated, but not knocked out, it isn't that big a deal...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-02-2011 at 11:39 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the help you answers were very helpful.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I think it is important, and if you do any type of sport work with your dog, then prelims are necessary.
I didn't know that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Breeders also want to know what they are producing and many breeders have it in their contracts that hips/elbows are required before you can get full registration.
I doubt the OP's breeder is one of those.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

OFA#GS82004G31M-NOPI.

GS=German Shepherd
82004=just record number of him being the 82004th GSD certified for hips
G=hip rating of Good
31=age in months when he was certified
M=Male
NoPI= No Permanent Identification. Either he is not permanently IDed with tattoo or microchip, or the vet didn't verify this at the time of x-ray and record it on the paperwork.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks Chris! I just learned something new today!!! NOPI

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page