New Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Smile New Dog

Hey everyone,

I have been looking into getting a 2 year old female German Shepherd for the past few weeks. I'm an 18 year old college student and I would be the primary caretaker of this dog. She seems like an adorable personality and seems to be very well behaved. This would be my first dog and I was wondering if you all thought it was a good idea. Another issue is that this would have to be a primarily outdoor dog. Is that alright to do?

I have been through a really rough time in my life and just really need something (in this case, this dog) to get me through it and always be there. Whats better than man's best friend?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 AM

I don't like the idea of a dog being outside all the time. Unless the dog itself refuses to come in because he likes the cold. Also are you an active person?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Yes. I like to go to the gym everyday. Sometimes twice. I would much prefer being outside--running or cycling. It's just this midwestern weather is much too cold at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 AM

First off, welcome!
Dogs are great for "just being there" and your dog will keep you busy with training, excercising etc. Something to consider if you are busy with school. Since she is 2 you will have a little better time by skipping the puppy stage ( which is great BTW) but she will still be an active young dog that needs lots of excercise. A dog can be a great companion and do wonders for ones well-being. GSDs are happiest I think when they are inside and truely part of the family. Others with more experience with them will be able to tell better. Other than that I think a dog is a great idea, just go into it with commitment and knowing that no matter what, you must not let her down! She will depend on you for everything. Take care of her and she'll be a friend for years to come.

Aaron

Lijha ~ Sable GSD
Noni ~ Lhasa Apso
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for that!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LijhaPup View Post
First off, welcome!
Dogs are great for "just being there" and your dog will keep you busy with training, excercising etc. Something to consider if you are busy with school. Since she is 2 you will have a little better time by skipping the puppy stage ( which is great BTW) but she will still be an active young dog that needs lots of excercise. A dog can be a great companion and do wonders for ones well-being. GSDs are happiest I think when they are inside and truely part of the family. Others with more experience with them will be able to tell better. Other than that I think a dog is a great idea, just go into it with commitment and knowing that no matter what, you must not let her down! She will depend on you for everything. Take care of her and she'll be a friend for years to come.

Well put Lijhapup! If you have the time and money to train, exercise, and suppy the dog with the unexpected things along the way then I think it would be good. If you want a gsd for a companion I'm sure you'd want her inside to enjoy her company. Hope everything works out for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page