Rolling in poop & worse - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Rolling in poop & worse

Ok, I dont know what has gotten into my girl lately but she almost refuses to poop outside all of a sudden. I wake up, feed her, go on about an hr walk with her, let her go potty and take her inside...I do the same at night and take her out multiple times throughout the day. Lately she waits to poop and then I'll leave for about 2-3 hrs and she poops in her crate....Her crate is not too big for her and she is house trained, is this just an attention getter or whats the deal?

She also has a very bad habit of rolling in poop which shes had since day one. Obviously on leash she doesnt have the opportunity because (even though she doesnt try it) i wouldnt let her either. The minute she may pull out of her collar or when we're doing off leash training her superior sniffer looks for the closest pile of someone's other than her's poop and dives headfirst... Do they grow out of this? When I see her I yall at her No and she knows to stay away but when we're training and I'm walking ahead sometimes its too late. Also I know they aren't supposed to be bathed too often, no where near as often as I do with her poop rolling problem... Any suggestions? Anyone dealt with this?

To top it all off (just a rant) I go to lay down in bed tonight and move the two loads of laundry i was too lazy to fold and find some are still damp from our crappy dryer.....or so I thought, sure enough all my sheets are soaked, mattress is soaked, and fresh laundry. We have three dogs in the house so I cant pinpoint it on her but i have a very good suspicion it was her... And here i thought I was making so much progress

She's 11 months btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM

OMG Ellie rolled in fresh, runny poop once when she was out with the dog walker (who has since been fired for other reasons lol) and came back with it smeared ALL over her head, ear, neck, and Coach collar! It was a disaster!

I have read that they will roll in things when they pick up a certain scent. Sometimes dogs that have just had a bath will roll around to pick up the scent of their environment, as an instinctual thing, because wolves didn't want their unique scent to stand out to other wolves. (Sorry I'm bad at explaining, but you get the idea)

As far as pooping in the crate, that is very strange! Has the outside environment changed? Maybe she doesn't like to get snow or wetness on her paws? I have no idea

@Ellie_dog 's Mom
~My dog makes me smile at least 20 times a day~

Proud supporter of pet shelters, pet seat belts, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM

My boyfriends mutt loves horse poop, when he rolled in it once, if never ever seen a dog so happy. Im sorry about your situation, hopefully she will grow outa it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page