Hardwood floors... how are yours holding up? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hardwood floors... how are yours holding up?

Mine are a disaster so I'm thinking of replacing them. Currently engineered oak planks (soft as butter). ~600 on the Janka rating. Want to go to the hardest I can go which means brazilian teak, or stranded bamboo (for me, these are the colors I am able to find)

Anyone have either, or something comparable? The stranded bamboo sample (3000 janka) I can barely scratch with a carbide drill bit in my hand and cannot make a visible change with a hard plastic anything... it seems to take metal to scratch and even then it was only the coating that was scratched... no dents. Brazilian teak is around 3400.

How do your hardwood floors hold up to big dogs running in place?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

We are considering (Pergo Floors.)...several people have suggested it, because of the dogs....and it's supposed to be cost effective..?!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
We are considering (Pergo Floors.)...several people have suggested it, because of the dogs....and it's supposed to be cost effective..?!
Well... brazilian hardwoods and stranded bamboo... aren't all that cost effective in comparison lol

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

Some friends of ours put bamboo in their main floor (open floor plan about 8 years old). The bamboo went in 2 1/2 years ago. They have 3 rotties and just love it.
They also have 2 younger kids (7 & 5) and that flooring looks like the day it went in.

He did it himself and said it was kind of hard on blades, but other then that, no problems at all.
We're in MN and he said he has not noticed any shift/expansion at all.

It ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

I've heard nothing but bad things about the fake hardwood floors. I have very old wood floors and they are doing just fine with all the dogs on them.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 PM

we have black walnut hand scraped plank floors.the surface is naturally uneven and the more you beat them up the better they look.they have an antique feel and look to them so they stand the abuse of dogs,kids whatever.we also went with the non finished boards and we just oil them every so often.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
we have bamboo in our kitchen/dinning room and entry ways (both the front door and back door), it looks like the day it went in except if you look at it closely you can see scratches, but you'd have to be on the ground so see them. We're eventually going to put it in the downstairs, living room and bathroom, and eventually get the stairs done alone with the upstairs hall way. We love it, all in all I'd give it a 9 1/2 out of 10.m If you keep your dog's nails short like I do they won't scratch it as bad, my dog's nails are short to where you can't hear the clicking noise. to be honest most of the scratches are from moving furniture around, not the dogs.

ETA: I probably should mention we have good high quality Bamboo, I can't remember the name of the maker we got it from though.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)

Last edited by DCluver33; 02-01-2011 at 04:38 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

my bamboo is getting tore up! i don't know anything about it except that it is bamboo, and the dogs, girls in high heels, and a brick (got robbed) have ruined it...

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
liv

I know someone with Brazilian Teak floors - they don't have any dogs, but a few weeks ago she dropped her microwave turntable on the floor; it shattered, but didn't leave a mark on the floor. I've considered it for the next house, but am not a huge fan of the color. Be careful with bamboo if you get that - some are good and some aren't - I heard of someone recently (can't remember where - I've been reading a lot of flooring forums) bought enough to make a 10'x10' "rug" in a high traffic area for a month and it got really scratched up.

Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv View Post
I know someone with Brazilian Teak floors - they don't have any dogs, but a few weeks ago she dropped her microwave turntable on the floor; it shattered, but didn't leave a mark on the floor. I've considered it for the next house, but am not a huge fan of the color. Be careful with bamboo if you get that - some are good and some aren't - I heard of someone recently (can't remember where - I've been reading a lot of flooring forums) bought enough to make a 10'x10' "rug" in a high traffic area for a month and it got really scratched up.
I have samples from a seemingly good place "simplefloors.com", and the stranded bamboo is just... granite hard. I'm very impressed with it. Using anything but metal (plastic, wood, acrylic, etc) I could cause no visible damage either gouging, scraping, or pounding. Even stabbing with an oyster knife is almost entirely unnoticeable. YOu really have to hold the sample close at an angle to see it.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page