keep your hands out of his food dish respect the dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

keep your hands out of his food dish respect the dog

a breeder of working czech dogs told me he is a strong believer about respecting dogs while they eat he said its about respect

anyone else follow this rule? is he wrong to feel or think that way? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 AM
Crowned Member

The only time I put my hand in my dog's food dish is when I'm pouring food in or adding something tasty to it.
She has no problem with me putting my hand in because she knows that's what it means.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucy View Post
a breeder of working czech dogs told me he is a strong believer about respecting dogs while they eat he said its about respect

anyone else follow this rule? is he wrong to feel or think that way? thanks
It all depends on what kind of respect he's talking about.
If he is scared to put his hand down, then yes. It's wrong. You should always be able to take the food away.

If he is talking about the kind of respect where simply don't touch other peoples food because it's theirs and it's bad manners to take food from somebody elses plate then...well if that is his believe why not?

My dogs learn to respect the other dogs food bowl as well. I don't like when they switch bowls and dig their nose into the next dogs bowl while they are still eating. So they respect that and I do too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 AM
Elite Member

I, personally, do not follow that rule. I do respect my dogs, but I also expect that they trust me - if I feel the need to reach into their bowls, then they should accept that. They all do. I can take things out of their mouths as well. I do not do this on a daily basis or anything and 9 times out of 10 I usually only put something delish in their bowls. However, I fully expect them to accept me taking whatever I want from them, whenever I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
My dogs learn to respect the other dogs food bowl as well. I don't like when they switch bowls and dig their nose into the next dogs bowl while they are still eating.
I live by this rule as well. Also, no licking out the other's empty bowls until said dog has left it to be licked out. I also don't allow toy stealing.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
I, personally, do not follow that rule. I do respect my dogs, but I also expect that they trust me - if I feel the need to reach into their bowls, then they should accept that. They all do. I can take things out of their mouths as well. I do not do this on a daily basis or anything and 9 times out of 10 I usually only put something delish in their bowls. However, I fully expect them to accept me taking whatever I want from them, whenever I want.

I live by this rule as well. Also, no licking out the other's empty bowls until said dog has left it to be licked out. I also don't allow toy stealing.
That should be a given. There is something seriously wrong if you can't do that at all and I won't accept it.

When Judge, our youngest one got here and I fed him for the first time. Holy cow. I've never seen a four months old that was THAT food aggressive. He had the old ones, completely under control and I've never seen anything like that before. Even over a bone. One he had a bone, nobody would get even near him. And that at four months.

From the first moment on I cracked down on him. If he's that food aggressive at four months how would it be once he is a year old? There was no way I would let him get through with it "just because it sounds and looks so cute" because I knew it would turn into a total disaster once he gets older.

One month later I can feed him next to the others without having to worry about him being food aggressive.

With a bone or toy I still have to watch him. Because he will still growl at the others but we will get there.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Crowned Member

I don't follow that rule. It's my food, not my dog's food. I'm just allowing him to eat it.

I think it would be difficult to teach your dog not to be food aggressive if you followed this rule since they wouldn't be used to you fiddling around with their food, and if a time came where you needed to take something away from the dog that's not a good time to find out your dog is food aggressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

I totally believe what the OP posted. Completely.

I have had GSDs and dogs of mixed breeds who have their own agenda, I have fostered a lot of different dogs and I always respect them when they eat.

But when it comes time to grab something out of their mouths - kleenex, a bone they've chewed too far down, whatever - I can. Foster dogs included.

Because they know - hey, this lady doesn't mess with me for just nothing. If you need to prove to your dog all this stuff all the time, you need to rethink what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Dogs who come into rescue with food guarding issues eat prison style - hunched over their bowls waiting for someone to come and mess with them. When they learn no one is going to take or mess with their food and will only trade up like CC posted, they can relax and lose that behavior.

And there is a difference between guarding food from other dogs and from people.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM

^ what she said.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

I have never bothered any of the dogs while they ate. I figure it could be a great way to create a problem. I respect them and vice versa. My relationship with the dogs is not decided over the food dish but in other aspects of life and training.

When I was a child, my mum always admonished, "Don't bother the dog. He is eating.". She always had some good advice.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM

while I have never had a dog who did NOT allow me to put my hands in his food dish, it's not something I do.

It IS out of respect I feel. My dogs don't come messing in my food when I'm eating, I don't mess with their food while they are eating (unless of course it's a neccessity).

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page