dog fur - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

dog fur

Hi everyone,

I have owned my gsd since he was a pup. We live in a small home all one level and we also own a great dane.

I have been on maternity leave now for about 8 weeks with my new baby. Ever since my baby was born, I really am having a hard time dealing with all the dog fur all over the place all the time. I love my dogs but between my shepherds never ending shedding and my dane's sloppy drooly lips, I feel like I've been tarred and feathered daily. I am just overwhelmed with the dogs and baby as Im a first time mom and wanted a place to vent and possibly find an AMAZING fur removing product. So far, I vacuum daily or almost daily and use the sticky tape rolls and I bought that fabric sweeper thing to remove fur from upholstery and things. Nothing is working that well. I brush him too.
Does anyone have any recommendations and or tips- whats your cleaning strategy to ensure your home isn't covered in fur. I feel bad when visitors come over and get covered... Also, how do I keep my dogs and the baby? I'd never rehome my dogs but just need to figure things out I guess....
Any advice would be great.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Master Member

All the good things people will say about using a furminator on the dog is true. I have been amazed at how much cleaner my house is.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Consider the fur on everything as an added feature. From my experience, there is nothing you can do about it. I have to change my 3 month air filter out every 2 weeks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

If you don't furminate already, start. It will help a bit, but really there's no way to have a fur-free home when you have GSD's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM

When our baby was born a year and a half ago, I went completely OCD. I stopped allowing the cats and the dog in my bedroom and always had to lay a fresh, clean, hair-free blanket down on the floor for tummy time. Frankly, I had to get over it. I could never win the battle of the hair. My advice is to do the best you can! Brush daily and vacuum when you can.

Congratulations on your little one!

Stacey

Zeke (Blackthorn's Nemo, CGC) GSD~6/8/10
Tesla (Blackthorn's Tesla) GSD~2/5/13
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey_eight View Post
When our baby was born a year and a half ago, I went completely OCD. I stopped allowing the cats and the dog in my bedroom and always had to lay a fresh, clean, hair-free blanket down on the floor for tummy time. Frankly, I had to get over it. I could never win the battle of the hair. My advice is to do the best you can! Brush daily and vacuum when you can.

Congratulations on your little one!
Ya know, the hair NEVER bothered me before but now with an infant, it seems like I've become borderline insane about it. I ask myself how in the world this fur never bothered me before...I'm that one that lays a nonfurry blanket down for tummy time but what concerns me even more is that when the baby starts crawling...omg I might lose it.
My poor dogs are in a state of shock as they are used to being #1 and now baby takes so much of my time I barely have time to look at them right now So, they have decided to get my attention in other ways-my dane took to eating dog poop-I'm freaking out at her poopy lips, they have found a way to break out of my 1.5 acre fenced in yard, and various other behaviors....this winter hasnt been kind up here in new england, forcing us to stay in alot...between the cold weather and tons of snow...

Amanda
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Knighted Member

Congrats on the new baby!

I know exactly how you feel, I was the same way when my one and only was born 2 years ago. At the end of the day, I just had to relax about the fur. At the time, I had a GSD and 2 cats.

First off, what are you feeding your puppy? If you're feeding kibble, consider feeding high quality kibble and maybe add some vitamins. I fed my dog BARF + Vit E/Salmon Oil, it helps their coat a lot. I threw away a lot of stuff for my dog when he passed and I can't remember the other supplements I gave him.

Ditto on furminator. I have 3 essentials when grooming all of them. Furminator, zoom groom and the slicker brush.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM

I am collecting all of Chance's fur and putting it in a bag.

When I get enough I am going to make a down comforter. So, I am guessing by how much I have accumulated just in a week's time from the floor and his daily brushings, I should be able to make a California King size by early next week.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Master Member

Learn to spin yarn.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

Dark sunglasses worn 24/7 helps too!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page