Best (NON-Dyson) Vacuum? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Best (NON-Dyson) Vacuum?

Hello!

So I need a new vacuum! I have a tiny house, but my grandmother's hand-me-down vac just isn't cutting it anymore. I spent an hour yesterday cleaning out all the bristles, and the bag is no where near full, and it still leaves tons of hair on the carpet.

I have two girls with long hair, my GSD and two cats, so there is a TON of hair. For about 2 weeks I was vacuuming everyday to see if it would help, and it doesn't. Realistically I will vacuum every 2/3 days.

I would love to splurge and get the Dyson Animal Ball, but it is no where near my budget, I am a poor grad student.

I am looking to spend about $150, and was leaning towards the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser, any thoughts?

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]-Heather

Whitman ARCH, RL1X, RL1 (AOE), RL2 (AOE), CL1, CL2, CL3 3/01/2010 GSDx
George 3/01/2008 Orange Tabby DSH cat
Sofia 3/01/2008 Black DSH cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Crowned Member

You can get Dyson Animal vacuums for cheap on woot.com sometimes. I got mine there a few years ago for half off.

If you want something really powerful without having to clean pieces or brushes, I would get a small shop vac, seriously.

I use a lot of Bissell products from an acquaintance who works their but IMO the vacuums are not as powerful as others (Dyson has that niche).
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM

Do you have carpeting?
If not, I swear by the Hoover Constellation. Canister that glides around like the puck on an air hockey game. It just isn't that great for carpeting, just area rugs and bare floors.
I love this thing!
Just do not buy from vaccums.net they are con artists.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
You can get Dyson Animal vacuums for cheap on woot.com sometimes. I got mine there a few years ago for half off.

If you want something really powerful without having to clean pieces or brushes, I would get a small shop vac, seriously.

I use a lot of Bissell products from an acquaintance who works their but IMO the vacuums are not as powerful as others (Dyson has that niche).
Dyson is not really getting great reviews any longer. Overpriced and they do not last.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

We have the dirt devil for pets. I have got to say that it's a good vacuum. So far I am pleased with it.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I do have carpet - I have carpet upstairs, and laminate/tile down stairs.

On the laminate/tile I've been using a small hand vac & Swiffers, and it gets the job done, I really want something for my upstairs carpeted areas.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]-Heather

Whitman ARCH, RL1X, RL1 (AOE), RL2 (AOE), CL1, CL2, CL3 3/01/2010 GSDx
George 3/01/2008 Orange Tabby DSH cat
Sofia 3/01/2008 Black DSH cat
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

I am a cleaning freak, I vacuum every day sometimes 2x a day so I need a good vacuum.
I have the Bissell Healthy Home vacuum. It also has a pet hair remover attachment. I think they are now selling for $170 although when I bought mine a few years ago I paid $250 lol I do like it most days, though I think it is to powerful for my area rugs. I have had to unclog it 3x in the past year. The filter replacements are $23. It does have a lifetime belt in it.

but if you need cheap, I use to have the Bissell canister vacuum, the one for $60 worked great, I really loved it because it had the febreeze filters you could buy for $10 that made the house smell great while I vacuumed. I actual wish I would have just kept that one. I never had to unclog it at all.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
We have the dirt devil for pets. I have got to say that it's a good vacuum. So far I am pleased with it.
Some friends of ours, who own 2 Irish Setters, have a Dirt Devil pet vacuum and they love it. They have told us that they can buy "a few" of them for what a Dyson costs..........I have no idea.
I do agreee with EMariie. We have had 2 Dyson vacuums over the years and I don't think I'd buy another one, and I can get them at cost.
My neighbor has several carpet cleaning and installation stores and says that when Dyson first came out, they were awesome, but like a lot of companies, they cut standards to keep up with demand.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

I got my older model Dyson at Walmart on clearance for $189. You can find them cheap if you look!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
Some friends of ours, who own 2 Irish Setters, have a Dirt Devil pet vacuum and they love it. They have told us that they can buy "a few" of them for what a Dyson costs..........I have no idea.
I do agreee with EMariie. We have had 2 Dyson vacuums over the years and I don't think I'd buy another one, and I can get them at cost.
My neighbor has several carpet cleaning and installation stores and says that when Dyson first came out, they were awesome, but like a lot of companies, they cut standards to keep up with demand.
We've had the smaller German Version of the Dirt Devil in Germany. And it was great with the hardwood floors and the carpet. It kept up with three shedding GSD's and all the sand.

Now that we have the US standard Dirt Devil for Pets... it's awesome. Its one of the cheapest Vacuums out there but very powerful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page