4llbs in a week??? 7 to 8weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

4llbs in a week??? 7 to 8weeks

last week when sammie was at the vet, she weighed just over ten lbs. one week later shes 14 lbs . i have been feeding her about 3 and a half cups a day of purina puppy chow that the guy had her on when i got her. im currently switching her over to authority . is this normal weight gain? by the way she is now 8 weeks old

woops i meant to put this in the general puppy section

Last edited by sportsman1539; 01-30-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

Did she get wormed at the fist vet visit? If so, then she is gaining because the worms aren't taking nutrition from her. That and littermates aren't competing for food.
14# for an 8 week old pup is good. Good to hear you are changing her over from purina, though not sure authority is much better?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

yea she got dewormed. yea im kinda on a tight budget for now right now. i needed to get something cheap for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

If you have a tractor supply, their 4Health is supposely pretty good. But for a puppy, I would try to stay with a good nutrition, it is the most important time of their life growthwise. If you can afford a bit more, then it will benefit your pups overall health.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Abby was gaining about 3 pounds a week after I brought
her home. She did tend to get growth in spurts.

I started her on Purina as well since thats what the
breeder was feeding but I switched her over to the
4Health brand sold by TSC. She has done quite well on it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

does 3 and a half cups a day sound about right? the closest ts to me is about 40 miles away. About how much does 4health run?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 PM

I feed about 3 cups a day. Atticus is almost 11 weeks now ... and she doesn't always finish it all ... but she gets a cup each time, breakfast, lunch and supper and has 15 minutes to eat ... and then whatever is remaining gets put back.

The weight gain seems normal to me. I weigh her every Tuesday, and she has gained 1.5lbs, 2.4 lbs, and 3.1 lbs in the 3 weeks she's been at home.

HTH

ATTICUS - Black & Tan GSD - Born Nov 8, 2010
ATHENA - Black & Tan GSD - Born May 30, 2012
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Master Member

I don't think she weighs too much. What Onyx said could very well be true that getting rid of worms and competition has allowed her to eat more food. I don't think her weight gain was too much for a young puppy.

Xander did that when I got him. The vet wormed him, he gained weight. He definitely grew in spurts. We go into the vet every two weeks and at one checkup he would've gained a TON and then two weeks later hardly gained much.

She seems like she's on the right track.

If you want to check out dog foods this site has been helpful for me - that might help you find a food that you can afford on your budget that will work for her and you.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

ok i guess im not feeding too much then. Sammie eats all of her food. She goes nuts when its time to eat. lol...I only feed her twice a day though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

I would still feed a baby 3x's a day til about four months old. And like everyone else said, they go thru spurts so don't be regimented on how many cups. Just go by the feel of your pup, should be feeling a couple ribs and when they eat you can see the body fill out, when they are hungry it is more hourglass. My pup gained an average of 2# a week, rawfed. Tapered off at 8 months. He is now about 90# of lean muscle at almost 2 yrs old.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page